[rollei_list] Re: Black and white film question

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:52:50 -0500

>> I find it too contrasty and difficult to print. Tri-X and
>> Delta are easier
>> for me to print and to control contrast through
>> exposure/development. Then
>> again, I am not the world's best printer...
>>

>> Eric Goldstein
>>

> I am curious about this. What sort of images do you get
> with Plus-X. Can you describe how the excessive contrast
> affects the tone reproduction on the print?
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm doing this from memory, and I have not tried Plus-X again for probably
15 years, but essentially for me it was useless on anything approaching a
sunny day; contrast was just too extreme to get any kind of decent tonal
scale out of. Adjusted development could not be counted on to tame this
consistently. Verichrome on the other hand was fine and Tri-X at 200 with
diminished development was even better. Delta 100 and 400 are both excellent
for me, but best these days is XP-2 Super at a working ISO of 100; very long
tonal scales with beautiful texture and negatives that print very easily
(though dense).

By way of context, I do tent to hit negatives hard.

Eric Goldstein