[rollei_list] Re: Black and white film question

  • From: "Ellestad" <ellestad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:12:28 -0600

I shot lots of Plus-X roll film. It had a very nice gradient. Like with any
black and white film you have to tailor your developement to your printing
system - enlarger (illumination), lens, paper and paper developer. Plus-X
had a very nice shoulder and I had some adjusting to do when the relatively
shoulderless T-Max 100 came in. I always felt that Plus-X was a little more
grainy than a 125 speed film of that era should have been, even in low grain
developers like Microdol. And in the low grain developers it tended to get
even a little flat. Comparativly, Tri-X 400 was a little short on gray scale
(can't recall about the Tri-X 320) and Pan-X, while very fine grained, could
get contrasty very quickly in slightly errant developing.

Tim Ellestad