[rollei_list] Re: Avedon self-portrait 1963

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:58:03 -0300

2010/12/15 Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>:
> I do not know if people here are familiar with Willy Ronis. About the
> same generation of "Parisian - humanist" photographers famous for
> their images of Parisian life in the post-WWII era. But their career
> had started before the war and celebrity came to them in France after
> the sixties, often because somebody in the US (MOMA people for
> example) asked them to show their work at exhibitions in the US.
>
> Willy Ronis could attend the Arles photo festival when he was 99.
> Imagine Saint Ansel at 99 attending a workshop in Carmel and you'll
> get an idea of the devotion of attendees toward Willy Ronis. Arles is
> a place where Saint Ansel himself came invited by Jacques Lartigue,
> the Arles story is explained in Saint Ansel's "making of".

Our magazine "Fotomundo" published several articles about the Arles
photo festival,"Recontres Internationales de la Photographie de Arles"
and several Argentinean photographers were invited for the festival
from 1970; in 1979 Sara Facio (I gave a link a few weeks ago about a
photograph of mine where you can see her self-portrait reproduction,
it was taken via mirror and she appears holding a Rolleiflex) received
a prize there for her significant contribution to photography.
The same magazine published an interview to Willy Ronis when he was 90
years old, the interview is in Spanish, however you can see Willy
Ronis and other people photographs at the beginning and at the end of
the article:

http://www.fotomundo.com/nota.php?id=234