[rollei_list] Re: Austin has Unsubscribed

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:31:22 +0100

Hi Mark,
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am an engineer and I
learned if theory and practice disagree it is the theory that is wrong
:-)
It has always seemed to me Austin concentrates too much on theoretical
resolution, where I would not take issue with him, and neglects other
aspects of a photograph such as tonality. His belief that one can not
tell a medium format picture from a small print, for example, is based
on resolution. I can usually tell a medium format picture in a magazine
(where the camera details are noted such as Outdoor Photographer
magazine) and have been able to AFAIR. I must be seeing something other
than resolution here.
Frank