[rollei_list] Re: A TLR Rolleiflex in the Everest

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:22:31 -0400

That dispels a myth of the absolute need for traveling light.

I remember losing a whole lot of camera equipment to an apartment break in 1995 - Philadelphia. My SLR body was on loan, so I still have it - and they didn't find my Rollei. But two lenses I still miss...

E.

On Oct 26, 2009, at 12:40 AM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

Alfred Gregory was in charge of stills photography during the 1953
Mount Everest expedition, he went to 27,900 feet (8500 m) in support
of Hillary and Tenzing. Alfred Gregory wrote a book called "Alfred
Gregory's Everest", published in 1993 in UK by Constable, 175 pages 8x
11 inches, this is an excerpt from this book:

"My 35 mm cameras were a Contax and a Kodak Retina 2. The Contax, with
50 mm and 125 mm interchangeable lenses, was my main camera for colour
but when I went high on the South-East Ridge, to almost 28,000 feet, I
carried the more compact Retina up to the highest camp. Throughout
that day I only shot Kodachrome from which excellent blank and white
negatives were made later.
I also took a twin-lens Rolleiflex which I used for black and white.
Despite being more bulky than the Contax and Retina it was extremely
easy to use and with its superb Zeiss lens it was capable of producing
pictures of exquisite quality. I took it as the South Col and the
final results made the extras effort well worth while. When in recent
years these three cameras were stolen I felt I had lost a very real
part of history".

I bought this book today and hope to receive it for the next month.