[rollei_list] 2/85 Zeiss Sonnars

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:29:32 -0400

At 07:40 PM 4/9/2009, marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Marc,
>I would like to buy an Opton Sonnar 85, to mount on my Leica M. I
>would like to ask if there is a big difference in quality between the
>post War East German badged Carl Zeiss Jena 85 and the afore mentioned
>Zeiss version.

I am not certain exactly what you are asking. The 2/85 Sonnar was in continuos production at Carl Zeiss Jena and its successor works (Pentacon, &c) from 1932 until roughly 1980. There is a good deal of variation in the lens mounts -- the early ones were steel and brass, later ones aluminium, but the lenses are optically quite similar.

A reworked 2/85 Sonnar was in production at Oberkochen under the Zeiss-Opton and Carl Zeiss brands from 1948 into the middle 1960's. This lens is of a tweaked formula and the lens mounts tend to be of higher quality than Postwar Jena lenses, though they are functionally identical.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!