[rollei_list] 2 Rollei cameras and 1 220 film

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:01:48 -0300

After to have success using 220 film with the 'cord IV and 2.8C (2
different methods), I had pending to try another method suggested to
me that did not require complete darkness at the middle of the roll
and loaded the 3.5F Planar with a Kodak 220 TXP 320 film: after to
take 12 frames you advance the film up to its end as usual and then
you start the film again from the paper covering the film end; I did
it and removed the band for the exposed film to avoid problems, the
film feeler mechanism perceived the film start and the counter
advanced from 0, however before to reach the number 1 the film advance
mechanism was jammed by the film, I don't know the reason but it was
jammed. I decided to rewind the film in the darkness and to use the
other 12 frames for the SL 66, its magazine has a lever to change the
counter from 12 to 24 exposures without to change the pressure plate
position (works like in the TLR). I advanced the first 12 exposed
frames taken with the 3.5F capping the lens and started from the frame
number 13, I obtained the 24 complete exposures without frames
overlapping (the SL66 film insert also has a film feeler mechanism, it
looks different but works like the TLR automat).

These two images were taken with the SL 66, Zeiss Distagon 4/80 lens
and Tri X (TXP) 220 ISO 320 film, developed in Microdol-X full
strength, the first one was taken very, very close with the camera
bellows extended and the lens mounted in reverse, there are more
details in the photograph caption; the second one was taken at the
street, SL 66 hand-held, it is not so light and easy to use like the
TLR but can be used for the purpose talking about its versatility.
Yes, I had written the SL 66 was conceived as studio camera mainly
(the designers wrote it) and it's true in general considering the SL
66 features and weight, but it can also be used hand-held without
grips and the like talking about the camera versatility:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/4900919850/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/4900920288/