[rodgersorgan] Re: Palm Sunday

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:47:57 -0400

I always play "The Palms" whether or not there's a choir to sing it.  Many
people are familiar with it and love it.  Sounds especially nice with violin
playing the melody line or the string obbligato/descant.  Funny
story...there was a lady in my choir years ago who used a lot of "body
English" when she sang, and she really got into "Palms," so much so that one
year, on the occasion of our annual performance, she got carried away with
the lilting music and her wig went into orbit.

The composer of this chestnut, one J. Faure', not the same as G. (Gabriel)
Faure'...anybody know anything about him?

Also highly recommended:  Langlais' "Les Rameaux" (The Palms) from "Neuf
Pieces" for organ...something of a barn burner...if you're not familiar with
it, search out a recording of Robert Noehren playing it...not to worry if
you can't play it as fast as he did.

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
St. Giles' Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
Rodgers 835 & PR300S