[rodgersorgan] Re: Hooking MIDI keyboard to Rodgers Organ)

  • From: "John G. Cormack" <jackjack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:05:31 -0400

At 09:41 AM 08/13/2003 -0400, illjane wrote:

> > Soudns much better through the organ than any other system in the house.
> >      Is that because there are so many more speakers?   or because the
>amplifier capacity is as great as possible?
>
>       Presently I have to play on an Ahlborn-Galanti and I connected my
>Roland 1000 to it.   Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to control the
>organ
>when I am playing the synthesizer, which causes me to be frustrated when I
>want a
>choir anthem to increase or decrease in volume or amount of stops used.
Jane:

I am not familiar with Ahlborne-Galanti organs so I can't be explicit about
their procedures
for saving external MIDI patches/MIDI presets.  In my opinion, all of the
Roland "stops"
or "presets" should be played from the organ manuals, NOT from the Roland
keyboard.

If you will tell me how you select an external (to the Ahlborne-Galanti
organ) MIDI stop,
maybe I can help.  On my Rodgers the following procedure works.
1.  Hold the "set" button and at the same time press the MIDI button that I
want to use
to bring in MIDI stops from a synthesizer.  The MIDI button flashes on the
Rodgers
2.  Having chosen the "patch number" (or preset)on the external
synthesizer, I then press the
key on the bottom manual corresponding to the patch/preset number.  If I
wanted the piano
from the external synthesizer, that is patch number 1, so I would press the
bottom
C on the bottom manual.  The MIDI button stops flashing, indicating that
the organ
has understood that I have selected patch number 1. As you move up the manual
the next key (C#) would be patch number 2, and so forth as you move up the
manual.
If it is higher than 61, I then move up to the next higher manual.
3.  To save that selection to a general piston, I would select the stops on
the Rodgers
that I want also and then, while holding the "set" button, press that
general piston number
to which I want to save both the Rodgers stops and the MIDI selection(s).

Is there a similar procedure on the Ahlborne-Galanti ?  There is also
another way to select
external MIDI patches, but older Rodgers can't do it the new way that late
model Rodgers
can.

I select "patches" from an Allen MDS Expander II using the above procedure,
and also
"patches" from my Kurzweil K2600.

All selected MIDI patches are played from the organ manuals, NOT from the
synthesizer keyboard.
So one has all of the versatility of the organ, plus the added "stops" from
the synthesizers.

To do the procedures I mentioned above, the "command channel" on both the
organ and the
synthesizer MUST be set to the same channel.  I am sure that the
instruction manuals that
came with the organ and Roland describe how to do that.  On my Rodgers, the
"command channel" is channel 1.  It may be different on the Roland and
Ahlborne-Galanti.

Sincerely,

Jack

!