[rodgersorgan] Re: Electronic substitutes

  • From: "John G. Cormack" <jackjack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:58:21 -0400

At 07:52 AM 04/26/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Just because an electronic has stops, keys, etc., does not mean it's
>merely pretending to be a pipe organ, nor should we look down on it for
>not having pipes.  A convertible and a pickup truck both have engines,
>wheels, doors, etc., but we do not scorn the truck because its top doesn't
>go up and down, nor do we mock the convertible because it won't carry pigs
>to market...yet we do regard electronics as somehow inferior to "the real
>thing" because_______(fill in the blank).  I think the PR300S and other
>synthesizers/sequencers (Will someone explain to me why it's called a
>sequencer?  What does it sequence?) escape the substitute label, and all
>its accompanying baggage of ridicule, because it looks different, works
>differently, doesn't compete much, isn't a threat, can't be "played,"
>etc., so it's OK that it's not the real performer/instrument.  What say you?
>
>Incidentally, if you want to strike fear in the hearts of the "purists"
>and see the most amazing facial expressions, ask them why pipe organ
>builders increasingly use electronic stops, why electronic builders
>frequently employ pipes, and what they would call an instrument that is
>roughly 50/50 pipe and/or electronic...try not to smirk.
>
>Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
>St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
>Rodgers 835B and PR300S
In my opinion even better, have them go the the Methodist church in
Baltimore, or to the Episcopal Cathedral which, in each church,
has a combination pipe stops and electronic stops.  And have them prove
their expertise by writing down as they hear the
various stops, which are wind blown and which are electronic.  They might
be right half of the time -- in other words, they are guessing
I can't tell the difference. Of course, the purists will say that is
because I have a "tin ear" The Methodist church has about 50 ranks Moller and
50 "ranks" Walker stops, the Episcopal is combination Rodgers and pipes --
I don't remember the percentage of pipes vs. electronics.

And then there is the case of several years when a well known concert
organist was asked after her recital
"How did you like the electronics stops"  Answer (paraphrased) "I didn't
recognize that any of the stops were electronic"

We will never convince the purists, so arguments on this subject are really
fruitless.  Let's enjoy the wonderful
"imitation" pipe sounds produced by our Rodgers organs (toasters ! ) and be
happy. <grin>

Jack Cormack
T-927 owner

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com