[rodgersorgan] Re: Contemporary Music in Church

  • From: HANEYRPH@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:51:27 EDT

I have one more thing to say about this, then I will be quiet. Our church
does have a blended type of service. We have 3 praise songs after the call to
worship, 1 traditional hymn after the offertory and 1 traditional invitation
hymn at the end. Our church has an older Rodgers analog organ without a
PR300s. After playing the praise songs for some time (they are very simple),
I was informed that this style of music did not lend itself to be
"organistic" (preacher's word-not mine), and hereafter he (also being a
pianist) would be playing them on the piano accompanied by a lady with a
guitar. Having a PR300s at home, I know what you could do for these choruses
to be really enhanced for the worship experience, but since we have none at
the church, I sit idle most of the time. I am strictly volunteer, there is no
compensation for musicians here. My mother was the church pianist/organist
and she pushed my sister and I to give our talents back to the Lord, and I
truly believe I would be miserable and guilty if I were to quit-even though
she has been gone for six years. I keep thinking-"this too shall pass", and
if we ever change ministers and get one who is not a closet musician, my
services may be more in demand once again.

Clark Haney Wells
Tahoka, Texas

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com