[rodgersorgan] Re: Adding speakers to analog organs

  • From: "PATRICK LANE" <capt737aa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:17:49 -0700

I did something similar...

I have a Rodges 340 Theatre and when I bought the organ, it came with the
usual compliment of Rodgers speakers (M-13's, P-1, W-6 and a Leslie).

They sounded okay but I didn't really have anything to compare them with
since this was my first foray into the electronic theatre organ world.  The
Rodgers speakers were in pretty rough condition so I started looking for
somedifferent speakers.

I came across a very good deal on some completely refurbished Allen HC-12
speakers.   These have a 15 inch woofer, 2 mid-range cones and 1 tweeter in
each cabinet.   I bought 6 of them for my 4 channel organ and when I hooked
them up, I was sooooooooo impressed with the sound.   I was worried that
having the Allen Speakers on the Rodgers organ would somehow not work out
toowell, but I was happily proven wrong.

Pat
http://www.frogmusic.com/nipl.html[1]

  ----Original Message Follows---- Several years ago, I had the opportunity
to double the audio output of our Rodgers 990E (installed in the chapel and
used primarily for weddings, funerals, and occasional services). I had two
extra speakers already at my disposal - an Allen gyrophonic projector and a
Leslie (don't ask where I found these, but they were FREE). I also had
plentyof Rodgers speakers to work with, as the original installation
contained three separate antiphonal chambers, none of which worked well
because of their close proximity to the folks sitting in the balconies. I
removed all of the antiphonal speakers and utilized the amplifiers, but ran
the audio signal to the Allen and Leslie speakers. I was absolutely shocked
at how much better the same stops sounded when played through the new
speakers. My guess is that each "brand" of speakers has its strong and weak
points, often showing up in particular frequency ranges. By mixing the
brands, each one seems to cover the other's weak spots. This experiment was
so successful that I purchased a second Leslie and found another free Allen
speaker - so my organ now has four Rodgers manual speakers, one Rodgers P1
pedal cabinet with a 30" speaker cone, two Allen gyros and two Leslies! I
bought a few double-pole/double-throw switches from Radio Shack and wired
them to the four "rotating" speakers so I can play them stationary, slow
speed "chorale" or fast trem. This is in addition to the regular tremulants
on the Rodgers. The point of all this: I recommend mixing speakers if that's
an option. It really improved my 990. You might even look into buying some
new Rodgers tone cabinets, as they are vastly different from the old analog
speakers. Tom Alderman Roswell, GA. Your purchases at www.frogmusic.com
support the Rodgers Organ Users Group and are appreciated! - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - To unsubscribe or change mail
delivery (digest, vacation) go to www.frogmusic.com/rodgersmem.html

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: [2]2 months FREE*

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.frogmusic.com/nipl.html
   2 http://g.msn.com/8HMUENUS/2740??PS=
Your purchases at www.frogmusic.com support the
Rodgers Organ Users Group and are appreciated!