[rodgersorgan] Re: 32' - soft or loud?

  • From: Ralph Cullen <rcullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:34:57 +1200

The question should maybe asked "What KIND of stop should it be, if there
is only one" rather than just how loud.
I am most impressed with the compromise that Rodgers have come up with with
the T700 series organs. I am lead to understand that this is  skinner
invention / convention and that is to make that one 32' stop a string
rather than a Flute (on the one hand) or a Reed (on the other) I also note
that on the Continent, a Bombarde is liable to appear before a Subbass.
Maybe this is to add definition at that pitch rather than weight. My
appreciation of the Violone that is on the 700 series organs has grown
tremendously as I have used it. It has the definition of a Reed and the
weight of a Flue and seems to work so well in both roles. I think a 32'
should be able to be used with light registrations , like Flute Celeste II
8' on GREAT with just 32' underneath. Also the 32' should add that "rumble"
to full organ. I think this Violone does both. Maybe not perfectly in each
case, but certainly a wonderful compromise when only one stop at that pitch
is available.
Ralph
Rodgers Organs
New Zealand.