[roc-chat] Re: (roc-chat) Dave Eckhart

  • From: Aldo Spadoni <aldo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 23:29:20 -0700

Greetings everyone,

I just wanted to say a few words about Dave Eckhart. Also, I've been in
touch with Andy Tryon and he asked me to post some information for you all.

I'm a lurker on this list. I've been immersed in other endeavors over the
past few years and unfortunately I've had very little time to participate in
Rocketry. I do try to make it out to at least one ROCstock a year. This list
allows me to keep tabs on what's going on with the ROC organization and at
least I can enjoy some vicarious Rocketry through you guys!

I got the word this past Monday from mutual friends that Dave was very ill.
He was recently diagnosed with severe COPD and other medical issues. He took a
turn for the worse last weekend and was not expected to last long. I then
received word of his passing on Tuesday afternoon.

Dave's passing is a very sad event indeed. I caught the born again rocketry
bug and started coming out to Lucerne way back around 1996. Dave was pretty
much the first guy I met out there and we've been good friends ever since. What
a warmhearted and generous guy! Most times when I would come out to a ROC
launch, my son and I were part of Dave's and Andy's entourage along with other
mutual friends. I supported Dave as ground crew a number of times, helping to
prep the various manifestations of the Little Tykes Basketball rocket, his
famous "black and white" rocket, and other projects. One could see that Dave's
health was deteriorating in recent years, but he never lost his enthusiasm for
Rocketry. I’ll never forget all the great times we had at launches over the
years.

Dave was like a father to Andy Tryon, so needless to say, this event has hit
him very hard. As Troy reported, Andy is planning some memorial events in
Dave's honor at the upcoming ROCstock in June. I think this is a wonderful
idea. Andy has been off this list for a while and asked me to let you know what
he's planning. Andy has been in touch with Dave's brother and is planning to
obtain and resurrect Dave's famous "black and white" rocket. I'm sure many of
you know exactly which rocket I'm referring to. Dave has been flying this
rocket since the 1990's and I can't think of a better platform to celebrate his
life. The rocket is apparently in pretty rough shape, but
Andy will do his best to get it ready for June.

Andy is also planning to put together a multimedia retrospective of Dave's
rocketry career using whatever video clips, photographs, anecdotes, etc., he
can find. He plans to have a continuously running presentation on a laptop at
ROCstock. I'm sure he would appreciate any photos, videos, and stories you care
to contribute to this effort. I let Andy know that many of you have been
expressing your condolences and warm remembrances of Dave on this list, and he
was really pleased to hear that.

If you have any suggestions, or would like to offer any help and support,
feel free to contact Andy at 949-280-2569,OneHistorian@xxxxxxxx I've cc'd
him on this message. If you have not talked to Andy, I'm sure he'd very much
appreciate hearing from any of
you.

Fly High, Dave!

Regards,

Aldo
TRA #5053 L2     NAR #68834  L2
Aldo Spadoni
President - Aerospace Imagineering
Conceptual Design & Visualization
Tel/Fax:  310-833-9365
email:     aldo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aldospadoni
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2000969/
http://spaceart1.ning.com/profile/AldoSpadoni

Advanced Projects Manager - Engineering Visualization
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
Tel:      310-331-7593
email:   aldo.spadoni@xxxxxxx