[roc-chat] Re: Vandenberg launches

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 15:04:38 -0700

On 7/2/2014 2:41 PM, Adrian P. Bailey wrote:

Are you asking about being AT Vandenberg, or NEAR Vandenberg?

I can't answer about being NEAR Vandenberg, but I was lucky enough to watch a launch last year from the official viewing site AT Vandenberg. If you can get an invitation to that area, it's well worth it.

I was really looking forward to seeing the launch last night, because I was hoping to see the staging (near south Orange County area). Unfortunately, the marine layer made that impossible. I was lucky enough one time (about ten years ago) to have been outside JUST as a launch went by off the coast, and staged, and it was one of the coolest sights one could ever wish to see...

David Erbas-White

Has anyone been to Vandenberg AFB to watch a launch? I'm curious if it's worth the trip, if you can get close enough etc. I watched a shuttle take off once. That was cool.