[roc-chat] Re: Rockets... FTW! New life for an old Bruiser

  • From: Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:29:11 -0800 (PST)

Comments in line....

From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>

> My favorite tool to strip paint is a Makita finishing sander with 220 grit
> and keep it moving.
Thanks... good ideas. And thanks for the hatch ideas!

>The Missile Works PET2+ is a 2 event timer and has safety features.  Great for
>those future projects.
>It's about $55.  However, it takes some time to learn the programming steps.

I'll go look. I thought MW was out of them...

>In my opinion, all complex rockets should have a written procedure and
>checklist for prep, arming, and recycling if necessary.
>Also, you should have another person checking what you are doing as you load
>and arm at the pad.

Hmm... I'd agree. The most important thing to me is arming. The reason for the
hatch is the Olsen timer, if I use it, does not allow a preset. You have to
turn it on and set the countdown. I'd rather do that with the rocket on the
pad, vertical, if you get my drift. Then nothing can cause it to sense the G's
needed to start the countdown. I worry about arming plugs between the ignitors
and electronics failing. I'd rather do the arming at the pad in the vertical on
the electronics. But if you know of great ways to reliably short out the leads,
I am all eyes. :) Whereas the Timer One is small, and I am not even sure it can
fire two low current matches. But it has an arming screw which could be
accessed through a small hole.

Thanks for the ideas!
Jeff

Richard

Lets do something unique and talk about rockets... :)