[roc-chat] Re: Rockets... FTW! New life for an old Bruiser

  • From: Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:20:47 -0800 (PST)

>IIRC, you have a Defy Gravity Control.  If so, it has a channel dedicated for
>airstarts.
>It's triggered at a user-defined time after main motor burnout is detected

LOL. I *DO* and it's been dead to the world for years. I posted several times
here but could not find anyone willing to, or perhaps able to, repair it. I
literally never got to use it. I bought I think one of the first runs.

I recall seeing Kurt or others using 1/8 dowels or something like that in the
air starts... memory fails however. Sure sure... dipped low current e-matches.
But whose and from whom? I also recall him tapin little pieces of D13 blue
thunder to the ignitor. That might have been for clustering. One use det cord
anymore... or is that totally verboten now?

Jack you havin' a Black Friday Sale? Just askin' :D

---------------------------------------
Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jeffgortatowsky
Blog @ http://skepticalastronomer.wordpress.com

"(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for
asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella

________________________________
Date: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 1:25 PM

> I have plenty of DD Altimeters. Thoughts?

IIRC, you have a Defy Gravity Control.  If so, it has a channel dedicated for
airstarts.  It's triggered at a user-defined time after main motor burnout is
detected (default is 2 seconds).  Works for staging too!

> Ignitors? I know CTI's have the pellet making then great at airstarts
> and staging the doddle, but are their igniters suitable for low current
> applications. If not, whatcha all using

There's a couple options here, both using any standard low-current ematch:  1)
Dip the ematch in a pyrogen, like Magnalite; 2) Use a Pyrodex pellet (30 or 50
caliber depending on the size of the motor core -- for really big motors, you
might need more than one).

Also, if it's going to get off the pad in a hurry, and/or the airstarts are
"kind of" long, you might want something like a shishkabob skewer or piano wire
or something stiff in the airstart motors to help keep the ematch up by the top
grain.

Mike