[roc-chat] Re: RADAR or Something Like It for Rocket Launches

  • From: Allen Farrington <allen.farrington@xxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:42:54 -0800

In John’s diagram, according to both NAR and Tripoli, “Flight” is the RSO. I
think that both organizations are trying to make a distinction between the RSO
and the “Flight Safety Reviewer” (TRA) / “Safety Check-In Officer” (NAR). Most
folks are used to calling the rocket check-in person the RSO, but that’s now a
misnomer according to TRA. Note that in the past few years, due to having to
select which insurance to use, ROC should be adherent to the NAR guidelines if
there’s any ambiguity between the two.

Both TRA and NAR have recently updated their guidelines and training to make
the RSO role, as well as other roles, more clear. I would encourage all ROC
folks to make use of the resources below to refresh themselves on these
concepts. The ROC BoD should also undertake an effort to modify the positions
and terminology to move in this direction. LDRS35 will be strictly adhering to
the TRA guidelines with some “local enhancements” to handle the large crowd.

TRA:
http://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Safety%20Code/Range%20Safety%20Guidelines%20v1.2.pdf

<http://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Safety%20Code/Range%20Safety%20Guidelines%20v1.2.pdf>

NAR:
http://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Trained-Safety-Officer-Program-2012.pdf

<http://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Trained-Safety-Officer-Program-2012.pdf>

It should be noted, however, that primary responsibility for making sure that
the sky is clear is still the LCO’s primary responsibility.

Allen
Allen H. Farrington
http://www.allenfarrington.org
818-653-2284

On Nov 12, 2015, at 9:14 AM, John Van Norman <yrockets@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

opps—shoulda also been a line from FLIGHT to Waivers—

Johnny
On Nov 12, 2015, at 9:08 AM, John Van Norman <yrockets@xxxxxxxx
<mailto:yrockets@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I just made it into a PowerPoint slide—I’ll use it when I start doing
motivational speaking…

Johnny

On Nov 12, 2015, at 9:01 AM, Payton Kramer <payton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:payton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

"As of November 1st, I don’t give advice any more (retired)."

Just saving this quote for later

---- On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 08:25:33 -0800 applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ----

As of November 1st, I don’t give advice any more (retired). But, I can say
“yup, that’s pretty much it.” Safety must be maintained at a high level
regardless of the number of rockets and the pace of operations.

Richardo