[roc-chat] Re: RADAR or Something Like It for Rocket Launches

  • From: David Smith <davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:05:45 -0800

I think we should adopt something similar to the Tripoli Range Safety Guide.

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, we could just modify as needed...

David P Smith
Tripoli 15803
NAR 78668
Amateur Extra: W6DPS
ROC Board Member
On Nov 12, 2015 9:03 AM, "David Erbas-White" <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 11/12/2015 8:08 AM, John Van Norman wrote:

My goal in life has always been to have someone refer to me as "Flight"...
<G>

David Erbas-White

I have, for years, advocated a system similar to a NASA launch structure.
One person, not necessarily on the flight line (though in a good position
to see all) watches over everything—you can call him “Flight”.

FLIGHT
/ \
/ \
/
\
Lead RSO ————— LCO—————FAA Waivers
/ \ / \
/ \ / \
/ \ / \
/ \ / \
Roving RSO's Everyone / \
with eyes / \
and ears / \
/ \
Pad Manager Observer

/ \
/ \
/ PM Assist
Pad Helpers

This, of course, is a large launch scenario (adjust accordingly). Anyone
in the chain can call a “HOLD!!!”

Look at me! I just made a little drawing on my computer…at least it isn’t
PowerPoint…

Johnny

On Oct 28, 2015, at 7:16 PM, Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, I’ve been carefully following the discussion. Prior to this
discussion beginning, I’ve already been in touch with people about the
issue, and there are already plans for LDRS to have a team of *on the
range* personnel to oversee and enforce all safety and compliance matters.
What exactly to name the position is a matter for debate, but rest assured
that the basic idea is in work.

- Greg

On Oct 28, 2015, at 6:07 PM, Allen Farrington <allen.farrington@xxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm sure that the LDRS Safety Coordinator, Greg Lyzenga, will follow up on
this.

Allen
Terseness and mis-spelling courtesy of my iPhone

On Oct 28, 2015, at 5:42 PM, David Smith <davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, that sounds better.

I guess i should read all the Tripoli stuff before LDRS...

David P Smith
Tripoli 15803
NAR 78668
Amateur Extra: W6DPS
ROC Board Member
On Oct 28, 2015 5:10 PM, "Andrew Wimmer" <xenonrocket@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 4:58 PM, David Smith <davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Maybe we should rename the roving RSO. Rocket inspector might be more
descriptive.

"Flight Safety Officer" (FSO) is the correct term in Tripoli
nomenclature.

-Andrew

Gregory A. Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College (909) 621-8378
Claremont, CA 91711-5990 mobile (626) 808-5314