[roc-chat] Re: Notice for Large Projects at September Launch

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:38:03 -0700

Kurt and Allen have come up with some excellent ideas to increase the stability
of one of the back pads, add a rail stand, and maybe create a little longer
1515 rail for it.
I've strapped the long Super Uber rail to the outside of trailer several times
now and it is a bit worrisome hauling it down the highway.  I use lots of
bungies!!!

I'm looking forward to switching to the improved back pad.

Richard

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:09:40 -0700
From: rtd@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Notice for Large Projects at September Launch

    Richard,

      If you're willing to manhandle that heavy beast into the small
      trailer all by yourself, then "more power to you"....  In the
      interest of saving your back, however, I'd like to suggest that,
      before anyone asks you to do that, they should really consider
      whether it's truly necessary.  Our normal back row pads -- the
      plain old "uber pads" -- are quite capable of supporting some VERY
      large rockets, and we do have 8' 1515 rails to fit them in the
      small trailer already.

      In fact, at our board meeting two nights ago, this very subject
      was discussed, and we're trying to come up with a way to make it
      completely unnecessary for anyone to be saddled with the job of
      moving that heavy beast into the small trailer for the monthly
      launches.  Besides the weight of the base, there's the fact that
      the long rail simply is too long to fit inside the trailer, and
      therefore has to be stored in the storage container, and pulled
      out and strapped to hooks on the side of the small trailer before
      towing it. We can't just leave it out, as it's likely to be
      stolen, but we also don't want to make it difficult for J. Random
      Rocketeer to tow the small trailer.  It needs to be "hook up and
      go" for it to be practical for us to get willing volunteers.

      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

      Sorry for hijacking the thread!

      Cheers,

       - Rick Dickinson

      On 8/22/2014 10:42 AM, R Dierking wrote:

      If you are planning a large project that will
        require the Super Uber pad (1515 rail, 12' long, for 5/16" rail
        buttons) you must post or let me know before Friday at Noon.

        Also, if you'll need a ladder or other important support
        equipment, you should bring it.

        Thank you,

        Richard Dierking

        (951) 526-5224