[roc-chat] Re: Need advice for Fin Repair, Large Rocket

  • From: Mike Riss <rockt_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 15:05:01 -0700

Steve,

I'm not really versed in the proper use of tools; my experience is more along
the lines of how to abuse them   ;-)

I (ab)used the router, drill, and drywall bits in my Dremel, and after some
time and effort, the fin was nothing but sawdust.

Thinking about it more, your fin is probably twice the thickness and double the
length of a fin I had to replace.  That's why I was thinking something like a
regular drill bit, which would have more reach for your deeper fin root, and
just drill and grind until its gone.

Real craftspeople will hopefully have a better way to do this.

Mike

P.S.  I was able to get fiberglass to stick to my 4" V2 tailcone pretty well.
The trick is in preparation. Clean well, use really gritty sandpaper, saw
blades, etc. to scuff the surface, and clean again.  The way your paint stayed
stuck shows you've got the clean part down.

 Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Need advice for Fin Repair, Large Rocket
 To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Monday, August 11, 2014, 6:15 PM

 MikeIt's a large
 fin tab attached in 3 places.  Top and bottom centering
 ring and the motor tube.   Your thinking like a Drexel
 cutting bit? Looks like a drill bit but it cuts
 perpendicular to the bit?Maybe that's theist
 conservative starting point?

 On Monday, August 11, 2014, Mike Riss
 <rockt_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 Steve,

 You can grind that out with a router and/or dremel and/or
 drill bits without having to enlarge the fin slot.

 Mike

 On Mon, 8/11/14, Steve Jaben <smark.jaben@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Subject: [roc-chat] Need advice for Fin Repair, Large
 Rocket

  To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Date: Monday, August 11, 2014, 4:58 PM

  This is a loc

  V2, 7.5" diameter stretched out.  I broke a fin
 at

  the Saturday launch.  You can see pictures on
 Rocketry

  forum:
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?68463-Fin-Repair-Suggestions-Needed-for-Large-Rocket

  The tailcone is made of polypropylene. The fin tabs go

  through the wall and attached to the motor tube. There
 are

  two centering rings, one above and below the fin tab
 that

  is glued to the fin tab and to the motor tube. Epoxy

  doesn't really stick to poly propylene, so
 attaching

  extra centering rings really holds the fin to the motor

  tube. I don't see any other way to fix this, other
 than

  to cut a large window out of the polypropylene
 tailcone,

  cutting out the old fin tab, and then gluing the whole
 thing

  back up with a new fin. Getting the window of poly
 propylene

  to stick back in might also be a challenge.  The fins

  really don't attach to the tail cone because of the

  polypropylene.  Any other ideas or thoughts?  And buying

  whole new tail section is not really what I had in mind

  :)