[roc-chat] My Response: Youth Groups, TARC, and CAP

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:25:19 -0700

I'm going to try to address many of the things people said including their
questions directly to me.  And, don't mind elaborating on any particular point
if you wish.  This is a complicated matter.

Many hobby stores sell model rockets but don't help people with ways to launch
them.  Wow, is that true!  Recently, I suggested that TRA develop a brochure
like NAR's to try to reach some of these potential rocket enthusiasts.  I'm
also working on a new ROC flyer for Board review and plan to spend some time at
hobby stores in Temecula and Murrieta helping people that are interested in
rocketry.  Many of us discovered rocketry at hobby stores and if I have some
success I suggest other people try this.  People that go to hobby stores are
excellent candidates for our club.

I think our club's price structure for youth groups needs serious revision.
Often income from youth groups isn't enough to cover the portable toilets they
use.

Yes, I think we should manage youth groups.  I'm not suggesting eliminating
youth groups or low power, just achieving a balance between the available human
and equipment resources we have and the number of people that are looking for a
service.  We are a club first and must consider the desires of the people in
the club before commitment to others.  This isn't work; everyone should have
free time at launches and having to work long shifts, begging for relief then
having to walk away from a position, or continually hearing that the range is
going to be shutdown if someone doesn't fill a position is irritating.

We must balance the number of and size of large groups with the available help
to safely run the launch and have a good time doing it.  Inadequate help is not
safe at a rocket launch.  I've heard many different proposals on how to reduce
the size of lines or spit the range or whatever at launches but in the end you
still have three people to run it.

About kids from schools and whether Scouts are less important:  For a rocket
club with limited resources if it's between a group specifically doing a rocket
project or a group of kids just doing another activity, the rocket group is
more important.  All youth groups should have at least one person that knows
the expectations of our club and is willing to help running the launch.

Why couldn't CAP run a launch?  Instead of just showing kids how we do it, why
not provide them with the experience?  Learning about launch equipment and
running the range is a very important part of rocketry.

There's nothing to my knowledge in the by-laws prohibiting loaning launch
equipment.  Some TARC groups have their own launch equipment and others that
are just starting are not well equipped.  TARC teams need more help in
California.  I'm only volunteering myself and if others in our club want to
help we should get together.

Finally, ROCtober.  Some of you knew this was coming.  ;-)
I've now heard many people suggest it's just going to die.  Wow, this seems
harsh, but for example, at the last one it would be very easy for me to list
the people that signed up for range duty on Saturday morning.  Yup.  This year
it sounds like there will even be less, which is really bad.
So, I think it's time to say it was great and did a lot of good.  Some people,
like Payton and Mike Kramer, worked very hard at it and often compensated for
the help they needed but it wasn't there.
I realize that there's a fundamental difference in opinion over quantity verses
quality when it comes to running a launch and maybe even a club.  Some people
want the most people to have the experience.  I see their point and understand
based on their own experience.  However, for me, it's the quality of the
experience.  I would rather have more time with 20 kids than have to rush with
100.  From my experience it's not only less stressful for everyone, but more
substantial.  Now, I would like other people to say they know what I mean.

If the Board (with membership support) said, lets go out with ROCtober on a
good note, support it well, maybe even celebrate a bit, and go to managing
youth groups on a monthly basis, I bet that many people would chip in one more
time for the Gipper.
Mike, have you ever been called the Gipper?

Richard Dierking