[roc-chat] Mr Dierking suggestions/observations

  • From: "Mike Ostby" <mdostby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 11:14:26 -0700

I'm going to try Richards suggestion today regarding fin attachment. I'm
scratch building my first dual deploy and today is fin mounting day. It's a 4"
BT with a 54mm MMT so there's not a lot of room to lay up fiberglass - fin to
MMT. (They will be glassed to the BT).  So that I understand it correctly, I
need to "notch or groove" the root edge of the fins many times aprox 1/8" deep?
 Thus sort of creating a serrated edge giving much more surface area for
bonding.  Thinking of just using a bench grinder (the edge of the grinding
wheel) to make the notches. Is this the idea Richard?  I've not epoxied the aft
centering ring yet so I'm able to still apply fillets.

Mike Ostby