[roc-chat] Re: Instructional/Educational Material

  • From: Tom Hanan <tom.hanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:27:38 -0800

Great Suggestions Cliff :)

Which of these great books would you recommend for kids under 10? ;)

On 11/15/2012 4:17 PM, cls wrote:

I should have mentioned - if you really are a math geek, this book is heaven:

http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Books_Videos/Books/Topics_In_Advanced_Model_Rocketry

it's old but still true.

also, MIL-HDBK-762 Design of Aerodynamically Stabailzed Free Rockets, covers much of the same material, but even more equations, just pure joy!

free download: http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-HDBK/MIL-HDBK-0700-0799/MIL_HDBK_762_1855/

enjoy!

On 2012-11-15 16:13, cls wrote:
hi Chris, first stop for books is Harry (and Bill) Stein's "Handbook
of Model Rocketry"

available from NAR Technical Services (scroll down)
https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/store.asp?groupid=1080035015601
and elsewhere (Amazon)

Second "must have" in my mind is Tim Van Milligan's "Model Rocket
Design and Construction"

http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Books_Videos/Books/Model_Rocket_Design_And_Construction

both books cover CG & CP, static and dynamic stability, etc.

fortunately, neither of these cover everything, and you can enjoy
collecting rocket books for a long time!

dunno who told you there was no good references, they are mistaken.

Cliff

On 2012-11-15 15:38, Chris Coffee wrote:
Hello All,

I have asked this question to two different people, and in line with
human nature, got two different answers...LOL! So I put this out to
everyone here in hopes that I can reap the benefits of a "majority
rules" line of responses.

I am looking for books, web pages, videos, etc. that will teach us
most everything we need to know about model rocketry. I have found
plenty of videos of folks building and launching rockets, but not any
that have gone in depth into the DETAILS of the hobby. Examples would
be Calculating COG & COP, Motor
Designations/Properties/Characteristics, How to Determine Stability,
etc. If anyone can please point us in the right direction to find this
type of material, we would be very thankful.

We have been told both that those types of materials do not exist
(have to learn by trial & error), which I don’t really see being
accurate. And we have been told that they DO exist BUT not sure where
to locate them.