[roc-chat] Re: Instructional/Educational Material

  • From: Tom Hanan <tom.hanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:54:04 -0800

Very low drag (skinny & long) rockets are only at speeds low enough safely to deploy a chute very close to apogee (the point when the rocket start falling again).

The trick in knowing if your motors parachute ejection delay is too short and your chute is opening before your rocket slows down as it approaches apogee or if the motor delay is too long and gravity is accelerating your rocket past the parachutes safe deployment speed before the motor fires the ejection charge that deploys the chute.

Luckily the simulator shows you whether the acceleration was positive 100m/s indicating the motors delay is too short meaning you need to increase your motors ejection delay from say a C6-4 (4 sec ejection delay) to a C6-5 or C6-7 or if it is -100m/s you have to chose a motor with shorter delay such as a C6-5 0 C6-4.

Simulators are great at helping you choose the correct motor before your rocket becomes a lawn dart sticking out of someones head ;)

Some times the simulator just wont work with the motor you chose because the motors are not available with the correct delay time.

This happens a lot with long thin 24mm rockets flying on a D motor.
Thus the bigger the motor and the more aerodynamic the rocket, the more important it becomes to get the ejection delay correct.

Great start!
Have Fun

Hi Tom,
Will visit the Apogee link momentarily. I have already downloaded the OpenRocket software and was playing around with it last night. Absolutely none of it made sense to me...LOL! I designed a rocket (looked pretty cool) but when I ran the Sim it kept telling me that my chute was deploying at too high of velocity. It was deploying at 100 ft./s. Couldn’t figure out how to change that so I gave up on it for a while. Ha-ha.