[roc-chat] Re: Hauling the Small ROC Trailer and Set-up

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 22:20:49 -0700

Thanks again David.  It's very nice that you and others have offered to help
with this.

There's a tow ball (2") with square bar for the standard receiver kept in the
trailer.  The trailer has a straight 4 pin connector and we have the adapter to
a 7 pin round connector.  So, you can have either type of standard connector on
your vehicle.

It will really help having many people that can pull the trailer and makes the
launches more reliable.

Richard Dierking

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:11:35 -0700
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Hauling the Small ROC Trailer and Set-up
From: davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can tow in October with no problem.
My trailer weighs in a just under 5000 pounds ready to go, so the small trailer
should be no problem. Especially on such a short distance.

Is the ball in the trailer?  I can bring one if needed. What kind of electrical
connection?
I have a standard 2" receiver and standard electrical connections.

Dave SmithNAR 78668 L2Amateur Extra, W6DPS

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When anyone tries, I plan on being there to help.  Also, we should always have
a back-up trailer hauler.

A 2900 lb limit is often listed for single axle trailers because over that
weight the trailer should have brakes.  So, over 2900 lbs. a controller on the
towing vehicle is needed to operate the electric brakes on the trailer.  The
most important thing is not getting the trailer going, it's stopping it!

The small ROC trailer will always be under 2900 lbs. and Kurt and I are
continuing to reduce the weight of the trailer and make set-up easier and
faster.

Richard Dierking

From: lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:36:27 -0700
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Aug 20, 2014, at 6:56 AM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Greg:

Just Mike Klett so far.  Not sure about your Highlander.  It would be best to
check your owner's manual or other on-line documentation.  Currently, I
estimate the trailer at 2500 lbs.  I'm going to get a tongue weight in
September.

Ground clearance on the towing vehicle is going to be important because of the
ruts on the lakebed and enough power & traction for the soft spots.

Richard

Online info says my car will tow 3500 lb.  And the electric drive has pretty
good torque.  I think I’m probably in to give it a try one of these months.

                     - Greg

Gregory A. Lyzenga    <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College            (909) 621-8378Claremont, CA
91711-5990                       mobile (626) 808-5314

--
David P SmithNAR 78668, L2Amateur Extra, W6DPS