[roc-chat] Go MSL!

  • From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 17:48:27 -0700

Best of luck to the MSL/Curiosity team at JPL.  Although luck doesn't have
much to do with it.  What I think does have a lot to do with it is people
like Allen Farrington, John Howard, and other smart, clever, hard-working
people at JPL that help keep this country #1.  When I was thinking about
the risk and benefits of the MSL mission and how much effort the US has
made for Mars exploration, a quote from T Roosevelt came to mind:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong
man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The
credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is
marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who
comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and
shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great
enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who
at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at
the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his
place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know
victory nor defeat."