[roc-chat] Re: Estes Saturn V

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:40:20 -0700

On 6/1/2011 9:31 PM, Richard Dierking wrote:

Richard,

If you made the whip-clip yourself the following is probably not an issue. However, I bought a whip clip from someone at a launch some years ago, and the clips were 'marked' with colored heat-shrink. Unfortunately they were not marked correctly, and since I had tied some of the igniters together in parallel, what I had was a dead short across some of the igniters. If you didn't make the clip yourself, I would highly recommend ensuring that any 'color coding' is actually correct. As you can guess, this configuration led to one out of three engines igniting (first time in my life I had a cluster misfire), with devastating results to the rocket.

David Erbas-White

I have a whip-clip arrangement that provides just a little bit longer for ignition. I'll check continuity on each igniter after installing. Other than that, just experience.

Richard