[roc-chat] Re: Driving RV's and Trailers to the New Area for ROCstock

  • From: rtd@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:02:29 -0700

On 2012-06-04 08:39, Richard Dierking wrote:
It was interesting driving directly to the new site on Sunday and
staying there.  I thought, perhaps this is how pigeons feel when
they've landed in the wrong spot?  Anyway, I'm being honest that it
feels a little weird at the new location.  However, we'll make it
home.

I think that the "this is odd" feeling will be our biggest problem with the new location; it will take us all a bit of time to get used to the change. Our perspective of the surrounding hills and other landmarks will have changed subtly, and it's going to feel slightly "off" until we all get used to it.

The left turn is at the round steel post that's about 3' tall.  We
pass it all the time.

I think it will be pretty obvious to everyone, once we get a few people on-site, where to go. The lake bed is flat and empty -- if you open your eyes, you'll see everyone.

If any one's concerned about making the turn directly with their RV or
trailer (having to go over the bump between the lanes), I suggest
going to the old site that's flat, making a U-turn and approaching the
new turn from the opposite direction.

This is a reasonable idea if you arrive on Wednesday or Thursday. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS IF YOU ARRIVE ON FRIDAY, SATURDAY, OR SUNDAY! You'll be driving right through the northern end of our launch range....

The "hump" between the incoming and outgoing "lanes" on the dirt road is not a natural feature of the lake bed. It has gradually built up over the years as a result human activity. I don't think that anyone could object to us doing our part to return at least a small section of the lake bed to a more natural, pristine condition.

With that in mind, I am happy to volunteer my help as part of a "shovel team" charged with helping to restore the natural pristine state of the lake bed by flattening the last 20 yards or so of "hump" before the turn south at the pole. I'll me on-site late on Wednesday, so I can help out on either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

I'll have cones and reflectors at the left turn and you would have to
be going 90 mph to miss it.

Don't say that -- they'll take it as a challenge!

See you all at ROCstock,

 - Rick Dickinson