[roc-chat] Re: Driving RV's and Trailers to the New Area for ROCstock

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:24:13 -0700

On 6/4/2012 9:18 AM, Richard Dierking wrote:

In all seriousness, I have a little 'tow ball' on my quad. If someone has something we could drag with it to help flatten it down, perhaps that would help...

David Erbas-White

Yes, please don't take a 'stroll down memory lane' on Friday or Saturday! Once people make the left turn about a hundred times on Thursday the bump in between the lanes will wear and pack down. The small ruts in the new access road will just slow people down - which is a good thing.
Dierking

    On 2012-06-04 08:39, Richard Dierking wrote:

        It was interesting driving directly to the new site on Sunday and
        staying there.  I thought, perhaps this is how pigeons feel when
        they've landed in the wrong spot?  Anyway, I'm being honest
        that it
        feels a little weird at the new location.  However, we'll make it
        home.

    I think that the "this is odd" feeling will be our biggest problem
    with the new location; it will take us all a bit of time to get
    used to the change.  Our perspective of the surrounding hills and
    other landmarks will have changed subtly, and it's going to feel
    slightly "off" until we all get used to it.

        The left turn is at the round steel post that's about 3' tall.  We
        pass it all the time.

    I think it will be pretty obvious to everyone, once we get a few
    people on-site, where to go.  The lake bed is flat and empty -- if
    you open your eyes, you'll see everyone.

        If any one's concerned about making the turn directly with
        their RV or
        trailer (having to go over the bump between the lanes), I suggest
        going to the old site that's flat, making a U-turn and
        approaching the
        new turn from the opposite direction.

    This is a reasonable idea if you arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.
     PLEASE DON'T DO THIS IF YOU ARRIVE ON FRIDAY, SATURDAY, OR
    SUNDAY!  You'll be driving right through the northern end of our
    launch range....

    The "hump" between the incoming and outgoing "lanes" on the dirt
    road is not a natural feature of the lake bed.  It has gradually
    built up over the years as a result human activity.  I don't think
    that anyone could object to us doing our part to return at least a
    small section of the lake bed to a more natural, pristine condition.

    With that in mind, I am happy to volunteer my help as part of a
    "shovel team" charged with helping to restore the natural pristine
    state of the lake bed by flattening the last 20 yards or so of
    "hump" before the turn south at the pole.  I'll me on-site late on
    Wednesday, so I can help out on either Wednesday night or Thursday
    morning.

        I'll have cones and reflectors at the left turn and you would
        have to
        be going 90 mph to miss it.

    Don't say that -- they'll take it as a challenge!

    See you all at ROCstock,

     - Rick Dickinson

-- ROC-Chat mailing list
    roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>