[riscos-printing] Re: riscos-printing Digest V5 #10

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:59:47 +0100

On 3 Aug at 14:05, dave higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quoting Steve Joyce <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > The Canon includes its own WIFI connection, as well as cable network
> > and USB. As I want to connect to a laptop and a PC workstation as
> > well as my RPC, I didn't expect problems with LPR - the Canon
> > literature says it supports LPR.
>
> Can you run Wireshark on the PC, capture LPR, print something minimal,
> and look at Wireshark's capture?

Good thinking.

There may be a bit more information available if you can get at the
print server.  Try telling us what its model name is?

That said, you should be able to find what the print server says about
itself:

Get hold of the terminal program Nettle from
http://nettle.sourceforge.net

Run Nettle and try to connect to the print server by entering the local
network address of the print server.  You may be asked for a password at
this stage; if you are lucky, just press the enter key.

Once the server is accessed, you should be able to find the port names
from the menus.

I have a D-Link server which has run continuously with no trouble for
around 10 years.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/