[riscos-printing] Re: riscos-printing Digest V5 #10

  • From: Steve Joyce <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 12:01:28 +0100

In article <mpro.l6ewe000007lp0177.tim@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

> This is sounding more and more complicated with each exchange.

> I have been using lpr for many years and apologies if the following
> misses the point.

> First it depends on which LPR driver program you are using.  I know of
> at least two:

>   (a) LPR - marketed by R-Comp and which has a useful program called
> "LPRSetup".  I continue to use this satisfactorily.

>   (b) RPFS by Stefan Bellon from www.sbellon.de/sw-modules.html .  I
> have got this to work in the past but it is not as easy to set up as
> R-Comp's offering.

> I also suspect there is a LPR facility in later versions of !Printers.
> I have never used such.

> With the R-Comp offering, the printer connection entry in the File field
> in the Connection window is:

>   lpr#10.0.0.3/LPT2:

> where:

> 'lpr#' is peculiar to R-Comp's program

> '10.0.0.3' is the local address of the printer server

> '/LPT2' is one of the printer outlet ports on the server.

> A problem is finding the characters to use for the server outlet port.
> This can be different for different server boxes.  I remember finding it
> in the documentation for the server box that I had bought.

> So initial questions for the OP are:

> 1. What LPR software are you using?

> 2. What printer server box are you using?

I've been using lpr courtesy of R-Comp for some time now, initially to
work with a print server they supplied, to talk to an Epson Stylus 740
and an HP1200 laserjet. Stylus 740 has been gone some time, replaced by
an Epson DX8400 and now by a Canon MP640 - the latter two being
printer/scanner/copiers.

The lpr protocol works fine - provided you know the name used to identify
the print queue of the print server, and that is my problem as the queue
name is not mentioned anywhere. I've tried a number of guesses - none of
which appear to work. Query to Canon via its website was a waste of time.

I've also tried RPFS with much the same results - the print file is
transferred (disk activity) and the entry in !Printers queue list
disappears without causing any activity by the printer. One difference -
using queue=auto does grab the printer's attention - if the display panel
has gone into powersave mode, it does wake up - but doesn't print!

The Canon includes its own WIFI connection, as well as cable network and
USB. As I want to connect to a laptop and a PC workstation as well as my
RPC, I didn't expect problems with LPR - the Canon literature says it
supports LPR.

Many thanks for your suggestions,

Steve