[riscos-printing] Re: Gutenprint beta test HP DJ 3820

  • From: David Packer <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:18:57 GMT

Hi
Sorry to be late reporting
Using Iyonix 5.13 !Printers 1.72 and HP DJ 3820(and Aemulor loaded)
Got the icon on the icon bar after following your very clear
instructions and with the help of Ian Hamilton's !PrtSet2USB.

First attempts at text printing only produced the first page on
multiple page docs, then giving an error message. I can confirm that
!GPDriver2 2.04 solves that problem.

Compared to the standard driver the Gutenprint driver gives slightly
better results in terms of quality of text although it is difficult to
be exact as the standard driver gives Draft, Normal and Best quality
and the Gutenprint driver gives 150, 300, and 600 DPI. Comparing
the three qualities relatively puts the Gutenprint output slightly
better.

Printing JPEGs gives a clearer quality with 600DPI compared to the
'best'. The output was initially too dark so I changed the gamma to
1.700 and that was much nearer the monitor image.
The only other main difference so far is the much slower speed of the
Gutenprint version. Printing a 2.04M JPEG took over eleven minutes
compared to nearly two minutes for the standard 'best'.

Printing text was also slower but mainly due to the longer time to
initialise the printer (20 secs. as opposed to 5-6 secs. for the
standard driver)
I will try some different sorts of images and media and let you know.
many thanks for all your excellent work
Regards
Dave
--