[Ring211] Fwd: To Script or Not to Script.... That is the question

  • From: RBusPs67@xxxxxxx
  • To: ring211@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 10:06:08 -0400 (EDT)

____________________________________
 From: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: rbusps67@xxxxxxx
Sent: 5/29/2012 7:31:00  P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: To Script or Not to Script.... That is the  question

     Having trouble viewing this email? _Click here  _
(http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=dyxgyvgab&v=00112DoRdDy4tE83dHuTQDh24JiQp7ocO
7n808LvTJvH7DmtRIzJJcloOpWHnsGPqiLQLedzykaTxwYuW7_11PU0FovzngKJmkbzdPS0ItgLr
Afb3e9thWjpp99g0bPJywsWw7ENko6eGn1RFPiCdWtkX7S0P0eA03yUrFxP3JNcv4=)

Performing in Covent  Garden circa 1988 - Whatever happened to all that
hair?

Keith Fields  News letter

Dear  rbusps67@xxxxxxx

As I write this I am sitting at a coffee  shop on the Golden Princess, a
cruise ship with over  3000 passengers - I've come a long way since the above
photo.  We are on our way from LA to Hilo in  Hawaii which means 4 long
days at sea, sounds like a  dream job right?  Well it is a great job but the
long
sea
days can really get to you, there are only  so many films you can watch and
books you can read, it  takes a certain mind set to avoid going stir
crazy.  I have probably drunk enough coffee this  week to float this vessel!  I
will be making this  trip 6 times over the next 3 months and I am using the
time to work on some new material, finish  'If  Ever A Wiz There Was Part
2', and spend time in  conversation with the other acts that are onboard - a
comedian, a hypnotist, and a vocal impressionist.  Mixing with performers
with different skills is very  educational.

Last  night after my shows (I had to do a 45 minute show  twice in a 900
seat venue) I had a late night drink  with the comedian and as often happens
we started  talking about comedy and approaches to  performing.  The topic
that we discussed at great  length was the pros and cons of scripted
performance  vs improvising.
By  a scripted performance we didn't necessarily mean that  the words had
been written down and we were not  allowed to deviate from them.  A script
for most  comedy performers is a lot looser than  that.   And one thing we
both agreed on is  that it is good to have many routes through the same
material.  By that I mean that there are actually  several scripts for each
routine and we would pick the  one that feels right on a particular night
depending  on the audience.  I do shows to many different  types of people and
even
though the core material  stays the same (the actual tricks) the way I
deliver  it changes depending on the audience.  For  example, I do my chop cup
routine for family shows and  in comedy clubs and although I am not a blue
performer  I hit the audience a lot harder if it is a late night  adult crowd,
it is more to do with attitude than  actual language.
So  how do you develop these different scripts? Well the  only way is by
experimenting.  Always being  prepared to try a different line, a different
approach, a different gag.  Always being open to  a spot of improvisation.
The next problem is to  make sure you remember what you did and which bits
worked.  I usually record every show in case I  improvise a great gag, I used
to use a dictaphone and  listen to it in the car as I drove home.
Nowadays I use a cheap video camera so I have the  luxury of seeing it as well
-
but not while I am  driving!
There  are inherent dangers in being tied to a script.   Magic shows are
usually interactive.  A card is  chosen or a volunteer is asked to help in
some way.  This action breaks the theatrical fourth wall  which separates the
audience from the performer.   Remove the wall and it is now OK for anyone to
join in  - and they often will.  If you are stuck to a  script there is a
chance that the an unexpected  reaction will send you into unscripted
territory.  This is particularly true in the  close-up environment.
Experienced
close-up  performers know that you have to include the audience  to get them
involved, this often means going with the  flow and reacting to them,
sometimes they are leading  you.  It is at this moment that you have to
improvise.
When  I first started performing I would improvise  continually because I
didn't have an act.  As I  developed I found that certain lines worked better
for  me than others and these were the lines that I used  more often.  Over
time the routines became fixed  and I found that I had a few different ways
of doing  my favorite set pieces.  These pieces gradually  evolved as I
encountered fewer and fewer new  situations.  They eventually became
unintentionally scripted.
This  is fairly normal in the development of an act but it  led to a
mistake - I got way to comfortable with my  scripts.  I was improvising less
and
less and the  scripts were working better and better.  What was  the problem
with that?  When I did hit an  unexpected situation, one that I hadn't met
before, I  lost the ability to improvise and make it work.   Important lesson
- all our performance skills need to  be regularly exercised.
The  best way I can sum this up is by using an illustration  from an old
theology professor who wasn't talking  about performance, he was talking about
belief but the  analogy is a good one.  He said that most people  want to
cling onto a rock when they are surrounded by  the stormy sea of doubt, but
no matter how hard you  try to hold on, sooner or later a wave will knock you
 off.  It is far better to jump in and learn how  to swim.
Your  script is very important but you should never be  totally glued to
it.  If something unexpected  happens then you will be thrown of track.  You
need to get used to going off script and being in that  unknown territory
and still maintain control of the  show.  Learn to enjoy the grey area that is
 outside your comfort zone.  I have now built  several points into my set
when I genuinely don't know  what is going to happen next, and they are often
the  best bits of the show.
The  same applies to entertaining kids, performing close-up  or working in
front of 900 people on a cruise  ship.

The  water is lovely, why don't you join me and jump  in.

(OK  I know that sometimes doing something different can be  a bit scary
but  it is the best way to learn.  If you would like a  life raft/belt/ring
you may find
some  help here - _How  To Handle Hecklers_
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5Iyn1Np2Csp978IOm3e_uesNYngGkRTmdRJ2fziLIS-Y02ThSMoNfVejbRjwvFUs03h
QnvzYVYrW1xFBZ8_xuNvf2XaG1LHcjUY1GpsPdQcPbNhdEC_lU_CnjPxCwisZZp2IAo6hiK4CA==
) )

A  Great Find For Children's Entertainers.
I  had the  pleasure of meeting Tommy James at Kidabra last  year.  I did
not know it at the time but he has  some great products and one that I
specifically want  to mention.  'Comeback Bee' is a version of the  Homing
Card, a
marvelous plot that works so well as a  children's trick.  If you haven't
seen this then  do yourself a favor and ...
_Click  here to see : The ComeBack Bee_
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5LSgv3LCIWuuHB5xSnCVgUgQJmQ123k11WKaF5t6oBEVG7lAepKo6HfaNnK8uxu3tbLXx3n
vOA6_r1F8bxz0gMINIFlGknm7cw=)
A  solid 5 minutes of fun with a few cards, packs small  plays big, and you
get to learn how to do the homing  card for free - You can thank me later.
It  is available direct from Tommy  -
_TommyJamesMagic.Com_
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5JOAQa-DmZ_dgj-9wVvR9v0FbSBy2vt1sYtBSp2-wgGUE3f0ReR1z0cxR4bsWNyKP3pzqiTZ78ah6RhxRS2EXxs_c
6HjbxMmvHYnYo4eiH371lM-jSS1_b5JkGpfJbwG68upwQRQOnGTRJMKgrf7IOHGSzaaerPPJJIRv
fWMYvfvsMVauvmfs9w)

Feel  free to email me and I look forward to hearing from  you soon
Cheers
Keith  Fields
_www.keithfields.com_
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5KbVB7DwWDzZ8ivIQAYJ7z5wg7UL_d56uoDnvj0bh3HgD9GY4xloQQiysRVxL-eC9FR-wR4igClw4teSilH9azG5J
SjlIwL2r5StCjCPnn0eQ==)

(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5ITaQFvu9IBLzGCaNfIpI21pLcHizuWqfsfM7HYo6MftrPN_cP-1xLxdD599DDOWowZrL-Nwb68qWf_ugIaiKCPUGgCFx-1a5mhtHYOALGdn6B
vZG1KH9kG-TN2uQNWfGw=)
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5K8Ng6HkwTLtCp2NTS812sUAEebK1CU8xMePDtAgwhc0d7lLODHFlOAY9tzqYmUN2ts-KNi0vAS39yTdrf
ZiciduBe0uuu-8w1rF1wAf3QW5ZW1ENPF5CnmENg9Ro9OGRk=)
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5I2D85BgcKvlLBkck942Z0ElPeGaSILXTf5X_Ik_TazN7NpzI7399QEa
_j0tutoXduv4GS2Z8
CG_F0m7hUAsqC6z3631nTu28-g1OnnSlMxL2VG9YZJgwvHRnjQmEVidnw=)

_and  of course click here : Keith Fields .  Com_
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001WwB17LMsD5KbVB7DwWDzZ8ivIQAYJ7z5wg7UL_d56uoDnvj0bh3HgD9GY4xloQQiysRVxL
-eC9FR-wR4igClw4teSilH9azG5JSjlIwL2r5StCjCPnn0eQ==)

_Forward this email_
(http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=dyxgyvgab&m=1106684108547&ea=rbusps67@xxxxxxx&a=1110108364301)

(http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001daEc_4NEw4brjgkb4oYTO0zmDnJJtXft&t=0019bw001lFAB_AFkSBQoVYEA==&llr=dyxgyvgab)

(http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=press01)
This email was sent to rbusps67@xxxxxxx by _keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  |
_Update Profile/Email Address_
(http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=001daEc_4NEw4brjgkb4oYTO0zmDnJJtXft&t=0019bw001lFAB_AFkSBQoVYEA==&llr=dyx
gyvgab)  | Instant removal with _SafeUnsubscribe_
(http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001daEc_4NEw4brjgkb4oYTO0zmDnJJtXft&t=0019bw001lFAB_AF
kSBQoVYEA==&llr=dyxgyvgab) ™ | _Privacy  Policy_
(http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp) .