[rff] One month to go for the ride to start!

  • From: gene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:40:11 -0700

We are at T - 30 days and counting! To be honest, I am a little scared, a little excited, and ready to get this show on the road. I just submitted my request for 4 months of unpaid leave from work...and if it is declined, I have already written my resignation letter.

We are down to 3 riders. Tony has Summer classes at TCC and Chris was going to go, but his mom and grandma blocked that as they didn't want to be away from him for 4 months. It looks like it's down to my kids and I, just like in the good old days. At least I have a better idea of who I can and cannot count on.

We will be leaving Tallahassee on the 31st to pick up the rental car in Jacksonville and leaving Stefan's truck (I'm giving him my Pathfinder 4X4 and the 16' Tanzer sailboat in appreciation for paying for the ride) in Jacksonville so he'll have a set of wheels when he flies home for Reserve drills. We have to be at Ft Lee, VA for his AIT (Army Advanced Individual Training) graduati on on Jun 2 and will be dropping him and the rental car off at MacArthur Int'l on the 5th. In between will be a visit to the American Radio Relay League HQ in Hartford, CT, the museums in Mystic and New London, CT, and a ferry trip across Long Island Sound.

Stefan will fly home from MacArthur to Jax, grab his truck, and attend Reserve Drill, hopefully convincing his CO to let him attend drills on the road so that he doesn't have to fly home once a month.
 Once that is over, he will come back up and catch up with us as we're catching a train to Montauk as soon as he's airborne. He's young and healthy, so should have no trouble closing the gap.

That's the beginning in a nutshell. We might say a couple more things before we leave, but the main purpose for this list is to make it easy to disseminate daily trip reports and photos. We should each be putting our daily journals into this log, which is of course also being archived elsewhere....as well as being entered into our daily journal. It shoud end up being a fantastic keepsake for the kids to show their grandkids.

Gene
www.rideforfatherhood.org