[retroforth] Re: RetroForth 8.0 Released

  • From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@xxxxxx>
  • To: retroforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 19:24:25 +0200

Charles Childers (30.06. 19:06):

> * Better Documentation (including a complete glossary of words and a
> tutorial)

And what a splendid piece of work the Retroforth Book is.
Congratulations!

I've browsed through it this afternoon and found it a delightful read.

One suggestion: The descriptions of the words mfind and >number
each contain a lot of "return" values. Instead of "returning"
the success of the operation, it would be better to "set the conditional
flag". Referring to ?if in the explanation would be an act of kindness, too.

And I just can't understand the first sentence of the "Forth Syntax"
section of the tutorial. What does
  "Most of the Forth language has a very simple syntax of any computer
  language."
mean? Perhaps something like:
  "The programming language Forth has the simplest syntax."
  "Forth syntax is simpler than the syntax of other computer languages."
  "Most of Forth's syntax is simpler than other languages' syntax."

I'm looking forward to the end of my current projects, when I can get
to work with Retroforth again.

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl
|Approximity GmbH               | EDV-Beratung Schmiedl                  |