[retrochallenge] What about.... (suggestion.. hardware March 1994...)

  • From: "Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx>, <retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:32:26 -0600

Previously I said...

      Of course... we could consider other dates.  Here is a good list
of other dates, take for example the release of the Pentium II, released
in 1997.
http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/u0221495/micro2.html

      There are many stages of retro one could say, and concerning in
particular the IBM types...

March 1993      Release of the Pentium (I)
March 1994? The release of the computers that moved at 100 mhz.. this
was             a BIG event in the IBM type world.   THIS is the date I
would
                like to find.  To find the date the 100 mhz ibm'ers
started
                hitting the scene.  Anyone else remember what a big deal

                that was, and how many thought that 100 mhz was
impossible=20
                for a processor?  :)
                     If we use this date we can say "Pre 100 mhz
Pentium"
        1997    Release of the Pentium II=09

@}>--'--,-----------------------

        Oh yeh, there are other stages that are big to the
IBM-Types...(hardware)

        - The passing of the 1 ghz barrier.
        -The passing of the 2 ghz barrier...

        Etc.

        You know that when you say Pentium II, that is usually met with
a certain level of scoffing now, as if they tossed that years ago.
Mentioning a 1 ghz computer now almost gets the same response.

        All this to say that "pre-pentium" computers would be an
impressive, or even a "Sub 100 mhz Pentium" would also be impressive.
Now days many would be like "What can you do with less than 1 ghz much
less 100 mhz!?!"

        As I said before, the one thing that the Mac and IBM worlds have
had on their sides is years of development hardware wise and raw
processing power.  You put them on "equal footing" set a hardware
limit... they will be harder pressed to compete with other platforms
that have not had the hardware strives.

        In short, the Atari ST/TT computer has continued to develop for
68040/68030 machines.  MP3 players, movie players, network
connections... this was for a 1990 machine.

        In the IBM world, this may not be the case.  Users tend to
upgrade often.  On the same token, the software is more compatible from
the lowest OS till current, so you never know.

        Mac users tend to use a Macintosh for five years to a decade
before upgrading.. basically till it dies, and then jump many
generations to the next level.  (Like me.. Mac 128 to Performa 575 to
Wallstreet g3)  ;)  So there is some support and thought to the older
stuff.

        And Amiga users are just insane.  They have their hardware
starting before 1993, and yet, they have worked around that for over a
decade.  PowerPC is common.  And 3.9 can even run on a non-excellerated
68030 Amiga 3000.  Amazing thought and adaptability.   =20

        There are newer Amiga's and ST's that will not be in this
contest too.

        So to me, those 3 ghz IBM'ers like to scoff.  Those computers
are old. =20

        Yes, they are.  But let's put everyone on the same playing
field.  You take your IBM counterpart against my other counterpart...
run any system it can run, any upgrade you can manage, but you have to
work with that hardware.  And how well does your equivalent machine
stack up against the other?

        In truth, there will be IBM-ish users that will do this contest
with flying colors.  It is the rest that are not used to the older
standards that will either learn a few things, or see from a distance
what the older machines of all platforms can do.