[retrochallenge] What about.... (suggestion.. hardware March 1994...)

  • From: "Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:53:01 -0600

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 11:33:33PM -0700, Cory Wiegersma wrote:
> 1) The Manufacture of my particular computer started in SEPTEMBER=20
> 1993.... Yet I'd still call it retro.

I'm considering a change to the rules which may or may not allow
you to use your computer.  That is, the model of the processor must
have been available prior to March 1993.  ...

Any thoughts?

@}>--'--,-----------------

        I like the Pentium date that you've set at March 1993. =20

        Makes it challenging for me because my Duo 280c will not work,
but if I just find a computer from before March 1993, like the Duo 230,
that will work.  It has made me pull up my sleeves a bit.  And my
Newtons, the earliest from August 1993 are all out, and I am a huge
Newton fan.  But again, I think that the time landmark of March 1993,
the release of the first Pentium, is a great landmark and starting
block.
        Basically everything in this contest will be a "pre-pentium"
computer, and I think that is great way to put it.

      Of course... we could consider other dates.  Here is a good list
of other dates, take for example the release of the Pentium II, released
in 1997.
http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/u0221495/micro2.html

      There are many stages of retro one could say, and concerning in
particular the IBM types...

March 1993      Release of the Pentium (I)
March 1994? The release of the computers that moved at 100 mhz.. this
was             a BIG event in the IBM type world.   THIS is the date I
would
                like to find.  To find the date the 100 mhz ibm'ers
started
                hitting the scene.  Anyone else remember what a big deal

                that was, and how many thought that 100 mhz was
impossible=20
                for a processor?  :)
                     If we use this date we can say "Pre 100 mhz
Pentium"
        1997    Release of the Pentium II=09

> 2) I admit... it runs IRIX 6.5, an OS from 1998. Even worse, the=20
> release, 6.5.22, is from 2002 I think.

Someone else is asking for that rule to be dropped, suggesting that
it would limit the capabilities of the hardware -- and that we
should be proving how good our legacy hardware is, not how good we
are at being software masochists.  In a sense I agree.  The original
point was to exclude anything like Windows 95, unfortunately you
can still use Windows NT and even OS/2 Warp 3.  ...

(Mention of Net BSD in there...)
=20
Any thoughts?

@}>--'--,-----------------------

        First off, I like the hardware limitation, in that the computer
must have been released in Pre-March 1993.  Now where you go from there
is up to you.  If you can run Win2K on the computer, and have a 2 ghz
processor upgrade card, you know, you are STILL doing this on a
originally a pre-pentium computer.

        Secondly, I hear a lot about NetBSD... which I am thinking is
the means to access a more modern computer remotely.  This gets
interesting.

        BBS's and websites will be run on computers that are more modern
than the computer we are running.  And yet we are required in the rules
to access them.  NetBSD in a way could be said to be the same.  But...

        It can also be said that NetBSD requires a special access.  It
could be a computer at home, or one at work.  But in the end, you are
accessing a computer at nearly the "root" level, operating it from the
desktop like it was the computer you were on.

        "In the spirit of the challenge" and I will say that a lot, :)
I would like to encourage a particular rule against things like NetBSD
and remotely using of other systems from the retro system.  We want to
know how the retro system uses this system, how it can be upgraded, and
how it can run the more modern stuff.
        However, I would like for people to note in the logs, just to
prove a point, that at given points, they had the ability to access via
NetBSD, but did not.  :)  (Proving to retro naysayers that we have
accomplished this even with one hand tied behind our backs)  :)