[retrochallenge] Re: BBSes

  • From: "Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 07:17:46 -0500

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:59:37PM -0500, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:
>       Family-Net and Prison Board have not only dialup but TELNET OUT!
> A gold mine let me tell you.  Both have E-mail accounts, and
Newsgroups
> that can be added on request.

Now this is one of the things I have to think about: the consequences
of logging into and using a remote system, because virtually none
of these machines will be qualify.  Using a shell account, BBS, or
telnetting into a remote system is very much in the spirit of the
day.  On the otherhand, some one like myself is quite accustomed
to using the Unix shell and associated applications.  I could get
my work done with an 80 column terminal, a modem, and a printer --
never mind a computer proper -- provided that there is something
on the other end.  That is to say, I could be using the most powerful
computer in the world and still enter this competition if SSH is
permitted!

--->  LOL!   BBS's are not only the old solution, but most of them are
ran on 386's, 486's, some modern machines.

        The irony is, you are wanting us to get on the web, and access
mail accounts and all that.  What are those run by?   Really updated
systems in a lot of cases, and servers and computer usually not older
than the mid nineties. =20
        I've thought about this, but I guess the point here is, getting
the job done, somehow, on that little computer.  The interface you use
must till talk to the outside world to get things done.  Just being able
to do that says a lot.

> BBS'ing *IS* my hobby, so let me know if you need help.  ;)

Is BBSing mostly via telnet these days, or are there still a few
dialup boards around?

        Mostly telnet, some are dialup amazingly.