[retrochallenge] Re: BBSes

  • From: "Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:59:37 -0500

=09
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:31:41PM -0500, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:
> 6           Could you exist solely on a
> 7     computer from before '93 for a month?
> 8     www.freelist.org/list/retrochallenge

Thank-you for mentioning our event.

Your mention of dialup BBSes reminded me that they are a great way
to get online.  I believe that a BBS connected to FidoNet will
provide a internet email gateway, and an email gateway will allow
you access web and ftp and usenet gateways.  These are all very
appropriate ways to get online with an old box.

Yes, BBSes do still exist.  There were at least two, and perhaps
as many as a half dozen, in the Toronto area -- when I checked
aboout a year ago.  You can snag their phone numbers from the
FidoNet node list.  Just remember to call via voice first, because
a buzzing and beeping modem makes a very rude phone call.

If anyone else knows of ways to snag *current* BBS numbers, please
drop a message to the list.

Now if only we could find UUCP gateways. :)

Byron.

        Family-Net and Prison Board have not only dialup but TELNET OUT!
A gold mine let me tell you.  Both have E-mail accounts, and Newsgroups
that can be added on request.

        Yeh, let me know where you live and we can start researching
shell access in your area before July!

        A good place to look naturally is a place called
www.bbsmates.com.

        BBS'ing *IS* my hobby, so let me know if you need help.  ;)
(Thus why I plop down $35 a month for that add)

        Doc Clu