[regional_school] Re: Regional Academy Website and More

  • From: "Padron, Henry I" <Henry.Padron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:18:53 +0000

¡Feliz Año Nuevo! You are invited to attend and support this event at School 12.

HIPadrón-Morales
Nosotros en la Escuela#12 JamesP.B. Duffy prometemos dedicar nuestras mentes,
desarrollar nuestros cuerpos, y dirigir con nuestros corazones, para estar
preparados académicamente, socialmente maduros y ser ciudadanos responsables.

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:17:25 -0800
From: datias34@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:datias34@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [regional_school] Regional Academy Website and More
To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Everyone,

With Bill's blessing, I took it upon myself to get some infrastructure together
in case we decide that the Rochester City School District needs a little nudge
(i.e. public pressure) to get the Regional Academy going.  So I started a
website, a Twitter page and a Facebook group.  Obviously, I shouldn't be the
only one in control of all of this so at some point some of you should start
taking on roles within this infrastructure.  For now, I would just like to get
some of you involved and as a group we can go from there.  Here's where
everything is:

Website:
I used Google via Blogger to start the website and get the domain name.  I
chose this route because I have found that Blogger is the easiest webpage
platform for people to use who do not do websites.  Using this platform, if you
can type, you can contribute to the site.  The website WILL be at
www.regionalacademy.org<http://www.regionalacademy.org/>.  It's taking a few
extra days with the holiday for the domain name to go over to the actual page.
For the next few days, you can see the site at
http://regionalacademy.blogspot.com/.  Again, very soon,
regionalacademy.org<http://regionalacademy.org/> will be the website's address.

By using Blogger, anyone who wants to will be able to blog on this site.  It is
pretty barebones right now, but Bill is sending me the DVD that was distributed
a few years back and I'll be posting that on the site as well as more links.
Your blog posts will keep it fresh and hopefully, keep people coming back.  If
we decide to put public pressure on RCSD, we can host an online petition there
and more.  Please check out the site and give feedback.  (I would just sent
feedback to me directly rather than post to the entire listserv)

Twitter:
There is now a Regional Academy Twitter page at
https://twitter.com/RegionalAcademy.  If you have a twitter account, please
follow this profile.  I have been choosing strategic members of the media to
follow so that if we go "public" it will be easier to get coverage as most
reporters follow people who follow them.

I have not put a description of the RA on the Twitter profile yet, as I am
waiting to see if we are going to be using it to put pressure on Vargas.  What
we decide to do will determine what should be on the Twitter description.

Facebook:
Currently, there is a closed Facebook group.  It is at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/482575945127914/.  It is closed because, again,
we have not decided on a plan on how to get RCSD on board.  Facebook "pages"
are easier to like, but due to Facebook's decision to charge pages to allow all
their followers to see posts, Groups seem to be a more democratic FB tool.
It's a great tool to share articles, have conversations, etc.

The problem with FB groups is, people can just be added to them without their
permission.  I have not done that to anyone because it is bad internet form.  I
do realize that not everyone may be on Facebook.  That's OK as it is just one
tool that we can use and more interactive tools can be added to the website.
And of course, we always have this listserv.

So check everything out and let me know what you think.  Also, committee
leaders, if you could send me reports, lists, whatever you have, I can add that
to the website and start adding hotlinks to some of the text that is up there.
Thanks!!!

Dave Atias

--
Julie