[realmusicians] Re: backing up and dual booting

  • From: Chris Belle <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 22:27:04 -0600

That's great Phil.

I don't like windows only solutions, that's the only reason I never persued acronus.

If for some reason you couldn't get back in to windows you'd have to holler for a buddy or your wife.

Does acronus resize partitions seamlessly for both ntfs and fat32 drives?

I quit using drive snapshot because it won't resize partitions for fat32.

But ghost and image for windows will do both.

I haven't tried image for dos on resizing partitions yet.

And I've been lazy and am not using the newest version because they changed the disk format so the images aren't backwardly compatible and I've got a good library of the older images.

But with several bootable windows partitions, we're generally ok, except just incase that worm gets loose and runs amuck in windows, we'll want that low level access.

Also image will re-do mbr code.

I have a couple of old dos utils which will save and write boot code too, and also cmos settings.

Atleast the first 128 bits which most even modern bios share.

At 07:34 AM 2/20/2010, you wrote:
Have stopped using Image for Windows and am exclusively using Acronis True
Image.  Only one minor disadvantage, to do this I run the thumb version of
Jaws on a separate drive.  This means that I have to have a video intercept
installed on the image that I am creating. That's because you need to use a
screen reader like Jaws and set it to say all because, narrator, won't pick
up all the screens.  Acronis True Image Home does have hotkeys and they do
work.  Not a big deal really but, worth a mention.  Big advantage, if I can
get into Windows and the True Image software is working then, I can tell
True Image to reinstall an image on to the partition that I am currently
working on in Windows.  When it does this, True image deletes the partition,
reinstalls the image that I have chosen and brings up Windows again with the
new freshly installed partition.  This takes around 10 minutes with my
system drive which, includes all of my audio applications already
authorised.  I love it!  It's saved my baking a few times and I will be
running the same image that I use on my system drive on a separate partition
that I will be using exclusively for beta testing.  The cool thing is that
when beta testing various applications in the future, I won't have to
uninstall them.  I can just reimage the drive in 10 minutes.  I couldn't do
a reinstall of an application like Sonar in that time and have it
configured, just the way I want it.

Regards, Phil Muir
Accessibility Training
Telephone: US (615) 713-2021