[real-eyes] Rfb gives rationale for name change

  • From: "V Nork" <ginisd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:17:51 -0700

Hello list, Below is a copy and paste of a segment of the RFB newsletter
sent me as someone who uses their services quite a lot.  I don't really
object to the name change, I see it from their point of view as expressed
below.  I could say it sounds a little vague and a bit bland, but really,
this may be just my opinion.  I love La, as I guess we will end up calling
these folks.  Ginny

Dear Member,

I am personally reaching out to share with you the exciting news that
Recording for

the Blind & Dyslexic

R has changed its name to Learning Ally.

Changing the name of an institution such as Recording for the Blind &
Dyslexic, with

its rich history and tremendous network of 300,000 members, is not something
we entered

into lightly. Over the past year, we have worked closely with scores of
students,

parents, teachers, volunteers and others to explore the current state of the
organization

and chart its future.

First and foremost, this transformation has been driven by our members.

 Our research and focus groups reveal that the most significant reasons for
change

come directly from individuals just like you:

Our member community is more diverse than ever before, including individuals
with

many different kinds of learning disabilities where access and reading are
barriers

to their learning.

The broad community of individuals in the U.S. who "learn differently" has
grown

significantly and a portion of these individuals are not blind or dyslexic.
Our current

name limits our ability to reach the wider base of individuals who could
benefit

from our services.

And most significant of all, a universal issue expressed by the vast
majority of

our members surveyed is that they don't want to be typecast.

When told about the news of our new name, a freshman in college who began
using RFB&D

in second grade said:

"Finally. . .I'm tired of typing out that long name - and I

don't like being labeled as Dyslexic!"

This anecdote echoes the sentiment of countless thousands of members. They
don't

want to be referred to as "disabled"; they simply want to enjoy equal access
and

opportunities to learn and succeed like anyone else. Our new name goes
directly to

the heart of supporting them.

Right-click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook
prevented

automatic download of this picture from the Internet.

Learning Ally - Making reading accessible for all

We will continue to serve and support you.

 We are excited about the future and hope you will encourage your friends,
parents,

teachers, and others in your community to become a "Learning Ally" to help
us reach

more individuals with tools for educational success. Be sure to visit our
new website

at

LearningAlly.org

 to learn more about FREE Membership opportunities, FREE software and our
NEW APPLE

APP which now makes our books compatible with your favorite Apple device.

Thank you again for allowing us to help in your pursuit of learning and in
your support

of RFB&D, and now Learning Ally, as we move forward to serve even more
individuals

in the future.

Andrew Friedman

President & CEO

25%

C2011 Learning Ally, Inc. All Rights Reserved. LearningAllyTM, Making
Reading Accessible

for AllTM

, the "Access" icon, Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic