[real-eyes] Fw: [CCB-L] Fw: [HeartlandGDU] Unacceptable denial of access with guide dog to paratransit in KC, January 11

  • From: "Terrie Arnold" <tanderson3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <First-Steps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <HeartlandGDU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 05:28:28 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Metz
To: 'Terrie Arnold' ; CCB-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 7:19 PM
Subject: RE: [CCB-L] Fw: [HeartlandGDU] Unacceptable denial of access with
guide dog to paratransit in KC, January 11

Hi Sheila and others.

First of all, I would have tried to open the door of the taxi. Secondly, I
would report the entire incident to the Department of Transportation. Thirdly,
I would take all the applicable guide dog laws from Missouri and the federal
government and filed a small claims case locally against the Para transit
company and the contracted taxi company.

Finally, I would speak with the local media and initially agree to get a ride
and leave the dog at home. Since it is not a requirement by law to state that
you have a service animal with you, the media could and would hopefully be in
the background when the Para transit came to pick him up. He would then decide
to take the service animal so that the media could catch the reaction and
treatment when he has his service animal with him.

Another tactic would be to put together a dog patrol to picket the taxi
company, again with the knowledge and blessing of the local media.

This stuff has got to stop, and complacency is not an acceptable means to the
end.

Ken Metz

From: Sheila Styron