[real-eyes] Re: FW: New Accessible Screenless MP3 Player for $40

  • From: "Kimberly Morrow, PhD" <morrowmediakc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:00:07 -0500

I take it you can purchase this player at places like Best Buy off the
shelf?

Also, if you can't "transfer files", then how do files get onto the player?
Since we can't drag and drop, I presume we just go to "my computer", copy
the file, then paste it into the removable disk option.

Also does this player have FM radio? Most of Creative's players do.
Kim

  Date: Mon, May 21 2007 6:04 pm
  From: "Parker at Vip conduit"

  Since we receive frequent requests for accessible MP3 Players we are
passing
  this on.  This is all the information we currently have.
  Subject: Creative Screenless Zen Stone MP3 player
  Creative Zen Stone Review
  By: Grahm Skee - Anything But iPod
  Published on: 5/10/2007 11:13 PM
  Creative Zen Stone 1GB MP3 Player- Black
  Creative dropped the Zen Stone seemingly out of nowhere to
  compete head-on with the iPod Shuffle,
  doing so at half the price with more to offer. Creatives
  screenless player is a very basic offering - only audio playback
  and data storage. However, the
  player does step out of the current Zen lineup feature
  set by offering up true MSC drag and drop, catering to all
  operating systems.
  The Zen Stone makes a great secondary player to your audio
  arsenal, handy for the gym or any
  place you need a simple, truly portable music solution.
  Read on for a look at all the features Creative has managed to
  pack into this player, as well as
  a peek at the Stones insides, disassembled for all to see.
  Quick Specs
  list of 8 items
  . Size WxHxD: 2.1" x 1.4" x 0.5
  . Weight: 0.88 oz
  . Storage Capacity: 1GB (250 songs 4 minutes per song at 128
  kbps mp3)
  . Battery Life: Up to 10 hours continuous playback
  . Battery Type: Rechargeable Li-ion Polymer
  . Playback Formats: MP3, WMA, WAV and Audible
  . Connect Type: UMS/MSC
  . Available Colors: Black, White, Pink, Blue, Red, Green
  list end
  Accessories
  Included in the package is the bare minimum: the Zen Stone
  itself, a pair of earbuds, standard
  USB cable, and a quick start guide. Creative is also rolling
  out a few accessories to go along with the Stone, like an arm
  band, neoprene keychain holder,
  speaker dock, and silicone clip case. Third parties will
  be releasing their own cases and accessories as well, so you
  wont be short changed on available
  accessories.
  Design
  The Zen Stone is coated in a hard, smooth plastic giving it the
  feel of a nicely polished river
  rock. The plastic is the same material found on the Zen
  V Plus and is fairly scratch resistant; it will scratch but not
  easily under typical use. It is
  pleasant to hold in your hand and lends to a very useable
  design - small but not too small to use for bigger hands.
  A nice touch added to the left side of the player is a place to
  connect a lanyard for wearing
  around your neck. The standard USB plug is found on the bottom
  with the headphone jack located on the top. On the left face of
  the player is an LED that will
  indicate the status of the player and the battery level
  with various flashing sequences and LED colors.
  Controls
  Controls are very basic. The center play button operates as the
  on button, as well as the off
  with a long press. The directional up operates volume and
  the directional left and right operate the skip/scan forward and
  backward. On the top is a switch
  that allows you to select either standard track-by-track
  play or shuffle-all-music play. The switch also slides to the
  right, which advances you to the
  next file folder. This is a very nice touch for allowing
  better control and organization on a screenless MP3 player.
  (More on this below under Music
  Playback.)
  Transferring Music
  The Zen Stone is MSC (UMS) meaning that it will work with any
  modern operating system without
  installing software, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. Music
  is as simple as dragging and dropping music files and/or entire
  folder directories of music
  files. I have zero complaints about this method; it is the
  purest, easiest way to get music onto an MP3 player. If you are
  interested, Windows Media Player
  will also work with the Zen Stone, as it's compatible
  with any type of removable media. This may be useful for using
  features that will shuffle or
  randomly select 1GB worth of music to the player. [Also note
  that since the player is MSC, you are able to use the player as
  a flash drive to store documents,
  photos, and other file types.]
  Creative Media Lite Software
  Although not packaged with the Zen Stone, Creative Media Lite
  software can be downloaded for free
  on Creatives website. The lite version of their Creative
  Media software is designed for the player to transfer music, rip
  CDs, organize folders, and
  manage some extra features you could only do on a player with
  a screen. The main screen shows you the percentage of battery
  left on the player as well as the
  firmware version, which is also updated though the software.
  There is also a volume limit feature that allows you to set the
  maximum volume limit and
  password-protects the ability to change it. This is useful for
  protecting your childrens hearing.
  Disassembly
  Cracking into the Zen Stone without damaging it may be a bit
  difficult. The face of the player is
  snapped into four places near each of the corners. However,
  all of the edges seem to be glued or fused together. I was not
  able to get it apart without
  causing serious cosmetic damage to the outside casing. There
  is nothing user-serviceable, so breaking into the Zen Stone is
  merely for the sport of it,
  anyway.
  Music Playback
  There are two different play modes: repeat all and shuffle all.
  Repeat all simply plays all the
  files on the player in order. The order is alphabetical
  by track title but also by folder title. For instance, if you
  have a few folders and a few songs
  in the root directory, the player will start with the
  tracks in the files in the root directory (files not in a
  folder) then move through the folders
  alphabetically. The Zen Stone has no limit to the number
  of folders but limits the depth of the folders to three. There
  is also a file limit of 1000 total
  files.
  The player has a folder skip button that is activated by sliding
  the switch to the left. This
  will allow you to skip though one folder at a time. This is
  nice for when you want to load entire albums onto the player
  where the button will allow you to
  flip though the 10-12 CDs you ripped to the player. It
  could also be nice to make folders for different mixes. For
  instance, you could make a folder
  just for the gym or a folder for a party mix.
  Sliding the switch to the right will put it in shuffle mode.
  This will shuffle through all songs
  and all file folders.
  Sound Quality
  Sound quality is pretty good and typical of Creatives line of
  Zen players. I found that the
  frequencies are well balanced, having a flat response. EQs are
  always nice, but the Stone can get away without having one.
  Conclusion
  The Zen Stone is an extremely basic screenless 1GB MP3 player.
  Without a screen, Creative added
  some nice features that allow you to easily and blindly
  navigate your tunes. The Zen Stone works with all modern
  operating systems and doubles as a
  standard data flash drive, making loading music and other files
  as easy as it gets. I really have a hard time finding a
  reasonable complaint for a screenless MP3
  player priced at $40. If you need a simple music solution
  or something to accompany your other player, pick one up. You
  wont be disappointed.
  ----
  Blind Bargains
  http://www.blindbargains.com/

  accessibleDevices-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  To subscribe or to leave the list, or to set other subscription options,
go to www.freelists.org/list/real-eyes