[real-eyes] Emailing: www.v b t i.org

  • From: <bigdaddylou63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:50:29 -0500

Volunteer Braillists and Tapists, Madison WI
     Volunteer Braillists & Tapists, Inc.
      Catalogs
      Recent Additions
      Adult Fiction
      Adult Non-Fiction
      Print/Braille
      Children's
      Cookbooks
      Crafts
      Textbooks
      Contact Us
      Volunteer Braillists and Tapists, Inc.
      517 N. Segoe Rd. #200
      Madison, WI 53705
      USA

      Phone: 608-233-0222
      Fax: 608-233-0249

      For book orders and braille transcription requests:

      Hours
      8:00 AM to 1:00 PM (Central Standard Time)
      Tuesday through Friday Three ways to get the braille you need:

        1.. Request transcripton
        2.. On loan from our library
        3.. Buy your own copy from our library
      1. Request Transcription
      We transcribe almost anything you need or want.

        a.. Textbooks and school materials, including foreign languages,
mathematics, and class materials for pre-school through graduate school.
        b.. Job-related materials.
        c.. Leisure reading books for children and adults.
        d.. Daily living materials: cookbooks, appliance instruction manuals,
computer manuals, inspirational writings, knitting and crocheting patterns, and
crossword puzzles.
        e.. Practical items such as menus, bank statements, agendas, minutes of
meetings, and playbills.
      2. Braille Library
      Our shelves hold nearly 2,000 titles for children and adults, and our
collection is always being enlarged and updated.  There is no charge for
borrowing our books; just tell us your name and contact information and we'll
get you started.  Everyone receives an annual list of the year's new books in
January, in braille or print, according to your stated preference when you sign
up.  Hard copies of our online inventory are available in braille or print and
are updated every January.  They are available for loan or sale, just like our
library books.

      Lending Library Policies
      3. Price List
      If you have something to be transcribed or are interested in purchasing a
copy from our library, see our price list. Please contact VBTI for availability.

      Taping
      We record the information you need, if it is not commercially available.
Tapes are for sale only; we do not have a listening library.

      Our other website
      For further information about VBTI, including current events and more
detailed staffing information, see  www.madison.com/communities/vbti/.

      Become a Volunteer
      We are always on the lookout for potential braillists. We require all our
braillists to be certified through the National Library Service for the Blind
and Physically Handicapped, under the Library of Congress. We offer the
correspondence course for certification through local mentors and provide all
materials at a cost of $45. It can be started at any time and takes about
twelve to eighteen months. Once certified, we ask our volunteers to average
about a braille page a day. All transcription is done at home using a computer.

      At this time, our volunteer needs for taping and office work are filled.

      Volunteer Braillists and Tapists, Inc. is a Madison-based non-profit
Wisconsin (USA) corporation dedicated to providing print materials in braille
or on audio cassette. Our philosophy is that everyone should have the
opportunity to read.  VBTI serves visually- or print-impaired persons
regardless of age, race, religion, sex, or national origin.