[real-eyes] Emailing: www.blindskills.com

  • From: <bigdaddylou63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:52:47 -0500

Blindskills, Inc., Publisher of DIALOGUE magazine home page
       =20

      Blindskills, Inc.=20
      Welcome to a place where you can find answers and solutions !=20

      P.O. Box 5181     Salem, OR 97304-0181=20
      Phone: toll-free 800.860.4224   or   503.581.4224=20
      Fax: 503.581.0178=20
      E-mail:  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20

      We publish  DIALOGUE magazine=20
      A World of Ideas for Visually Impaired People of All Ages=20

       Launch of High Definition TV Are You Ready for the Conversion? =20

       Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic is in the news with some new =
internet audio access, and there's more to the story than meets the ear. =
Find out more in this sneak preview from Dialogue for September 2008. =20

       B. T. Kimbrough New Blindskills Inc. Executive Director=20

             Who We Are    About DIALOGUE    How To Order  =20
             When I Meet a Person Who is Blind, I Will ...    Tips for =
Hospital Staff Members and Care givers    Make A Donation  =20
             Other Publications    Resources and Links    Contact Us  =20
             Navigating with a Screen Reader   Writer's Guidelines   =
Where Do I Go From Here =20
             News    Calendar   January - February, 2009
            Table of Contents  =20

      Blindskills, Inc. is a non profit 501(c)(3) corporation. It relies =
on  donations  from readers, friends and benefactors for funding. =
Federal ID # 93-0829936.

      Site Search=20
      =20

            Comment "I felt it was important to share how beneficial I =
found DIALOGUE magazine to be for me. I will admit that at first I was =
not sure the publication would have articles relating to me and my life =
situation; however, the more I read of each issue, the more it occurred =
to me that I would come to learn much from each issue--more than I ever =
thought I would realize! Particularly when I stopped being so =
narcissistic about the reasons for obtaining the magazine, it dawned on =
me that it would be advantageous to me to share the benefits of a =
DIALOGUE with others. I am now most grateful for the opportunity to =
express my joy at having such a rich and forward-thinking publication =
available to me, but you can be sure I will be sharing the wealth!"=20

            Browser Hints
            Please be aware that most browsers allow you to control such =
things as text size, text color and background color.=20

            Any place on any page, if you do Alt-h ( case insensitive ) =
and enter, you should be taken to the home page. And Alt-D and enter =
should get you back to the DIALOGUE page from any page related to that =
section.

            This may not work with screen readers because of a conflict =
with shortcut keys within the reader. =20

      A young mother has just learned that her baby has an eye disease =
that will ultimately result in blindness. She has heard about =
Blindskills, calls and requests information on how-to techniques and =
available resources.=20

      Elsewhere, a computer programmer's aging mother is diagnosed with =
macular degeneration. He searches the Web for information regarding the =
various facets of the disease and the possibility of assistive aids. He =
finds the Blindskills Web site and contacted us.=20

      Although the young mother and the computer programmer look for =
answers in different ways, they share a common information resource. =
Both of them find help from Blindskills, Inc.=20

      If you or someone you know began to lose vision, what would you do =
and to whom would you turn for help?=20

      Blindskills, Inc., an Oregon-based nonprofit corporation since =
1983, distributes information to visually impaired people and their =
families. It provides this service in many ways.=20
        a.. In the past year, Blindskills, Inc. assisted over 2000 =
individuals who contacted its staff via the toll-free number, which can =
be reached from anywhere in the United States and Canada.=20

        b.. It maintains this Web site with hundreds of links to =
organizations and services for visually impaired people.=20

        c.. Blindskills publishes a bimonthly magazine primarily written =
by and for visually impaired people, available in five formats: large =
print, cassette, braille and via e-mail. Its content includes =
information on adapting to life with low vision, techniques of daily =
living, career interviews, recreation and sports, technology tips and =
reviews, and descriptions of new products and services designed for =
visually impaired people.=20

        d.. Other publications include:

          a..  Job Hunting Resources For People With Vision Impairments =
, a handbook for visually impaired people who are seeking employment;=20

          b..  Connie's Kitchen,  a cookbook which includes many tips =
for low vision or blind cooks;=20

          c..  Where Do I Go From Here , a free cassette for people who =
are just beginning to lose vision. The tape includes a companion piece, =
in print for family or friends, which gives suggestions for assisting =
someone with low vision.=20

        e.. Blindskills sponsors a monthly local support group for =
people who are experiencing vision loss. Staff members can provide =
assistance to others interested in starting such support groups in their =
communities.=20

        f.. Blindskills, Inc. will assist visually impaired people of =
all ages to obtain the information, services, and products they need to =
adapt to living with vision loss.=20
       Top of Page=20

    =20