[ratpack] Re: Quick update from the salt

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:01:54 -0600

At 10:07 AM 8/13/2009, you wrote:
Ray
Maybe it's because I went out there this year and took 50 or so shots,
but the three shots you shared are fantastic!!!!

Thank you for the compliments....I had the advantage of being on the right side of the track (with the light at my back) for those. I finally got around to attaching some photos. Sorry for the big message, but...well, if I don't do it now, I won't remember it. The back/front lighting makes a big difference....but there's one of 'em (20090809_0454r8a.jpg) which is partially backlit and the car was running about a buck-75. I'm happy with that one. And the shot of the Costella-Yacoucci liner (20090812_0224r8.jpg) was taken from the announcer's tower. The press pass on the lanyard helped me get shots like that.

I've been trying to come up with a title for the shot of the dog with sunglasses...I think I might call it, "The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades" with only a little...uhhh...."borrowing" from a song popular in the late 80s. (Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery, right?)

There was a lotta speculation about the vehicle in photo 20090810_0789r8.jpg. Like what class to run it in, or maybe it was there just in case it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. :)

The #788 car is always fast and this year, they (Costella & Yacoucci) replaced the little motorcycle motor and ran with a flathead V8. They ran it that way last year, too and were hoping to up their own record.

Finally, the sea poop (or pea soup) green 53 Chevy kustom is one I'm doing a bit of investigating on so that it can be used in a feature story on Kustomrama.com. A lotta work has gone into that car.

Btw, Lar, you shot about 50, I shot about 5000. However, I think your keeper ratio is far higher than mine. It sure makes culling 'em difficult with that many to go thru. But I bet you know about that. :)

Sad about the guy dying, I got a couple of shots of his car in the
starting line, and stood next to it for 1/2 hour.

I didn't know him personally, but I know his father a bit from exchanging emails. Again, I was gonna try to get a "moonshot" photo that one. I guess that opportunity is kinda history...the driver's death is much more of a travesty than a coupla missed photos, though.

Thanks for taking the time to send us some shots, I know you are busy

I got back Thursday afternoon. I was just beat. Then, I had a friend stay with me last night...a German photographer named Thomas Graf, also known as "Pork Pie." He stayed with me last year, too...we get along pretty well. But he had to get up real early to get to the airport, so here I is...but I'm going back to bed for a bit. I gotta use today as a "catch-up" day for some rest, since I'm gonna shoot a Solo II event at the E-center tomorrow. Anyone who wants to come is certainly welcome. I'll be there around 9 am.

RtR