[ratpack] Re: Old version of PhotoShop? (I found Elements 3...and a DVD story)

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:14:02 -0700

I'd probably consider a drive like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-GSA-H55L-Super-Multi-LightScribe/dp/B0011NOTDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259503152&sr=1-1 for my main workstation but that's not where I need it. I just need something I can record on in the Toshiba device that's connected to the DirecTV receiver/recorder. Btw, I think it was Chris who said they'd looked into this one and found its operation to be less than intuitive and bought a Tivo instead. Oh, boy. Do I ever agree with the counter-intuitive bit. The entire DirecTV controller is klutzy. But it's what I got and it works, so I'll live with it.

Lightscribe sounds like something that would be nice for burning artsy-fartsy, customized faces on the photo CDs I send out to customers. Speaking of which, I need to get one last one finished and sent of to the Canadian "saltmobile" team and mail a tube of prints to a bike racer.

Gotta run...I understand the elf's work thing...especially since my title on Project550 is web elf. I gotta get to work now, myself...but I DID get something accomplished today. I re-connected the DirecTV receiver in my "studio area" to the component stereo side by side with the audio out from my workstation. I'd had it set up that way before I started moving stuff around in here, but the audio cables were too short. And when I did it the first time, I used the Video2 input for the computer and Tape1 for the satellite receiver. That had all sorts of bleed-over ftom the tape in. I dunno why I didn't think of it before, but now I have 'em both set up as Video in, 1 and 2. And I ordered 25 foot cables from Amazon for a whopping $7 with free 2-day delivery. 'Course it's Sunday, so that 2-day period will probably start Monday afternoon and I might see 'em by Thursday. But it's one thing off my "to do" list.

Now I need to edit some photos for the Canucks and look into ram disk/cache memory upgrades. And then there's the rest of the list....

Ray

At 05:53 AM 11/29/2009, you wrote:
There was a backup system at work, that I swapped disks on the server every morning, that was the routine. Now they are doing online backup (a good thing). That drive was dual layer. We were out, and I bought some dual layer disks. They didn't work. They were dual layer, and the proper ones (for $45 per 25 discs). They just didn't work in that drive. I have since gotten a DL drive for my work station, just so I could use the expensive disks, or anything else I may throw at it. If you get one of those drives, you can pretty much burn anything in it. Including lightscribe. The internal version was about $90.

I have the lightscribe in the laptop. I have only burned one, although I have a small spindle (10 maybe) and it works pretty cool. You flip the CD when you are ready and it burns it on the top side. Never got around to making a template for the discs though. I need to do that (when there is nothing else on my plate........ Are there lightscribe drives in heaven?/hell?)

I am off to hunt down a proportioning valve for the Monte. It's a 45 min drive away, and I may not get it in the car today, unless it's late, and I finish all the Diamond setting, and CAD designs I have to get done before Monday. An elf's work is never done!

JC
---
John Christensen
Saint Charles, IL

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Ray Buck <<mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I might be ok. After sifting through a stack of CDs, I found one that contained a legal copy of Elements 3. I installed it and it appears to work. It was included in something else I bought but I don't remember what it was. We'll see how the upgrade goes when the CS2 gets here.

As long as I'm here, I'll relate a bit of a story (I'm trying to eat some crackers in hopes that they chase the nausea away.) A couple of weeks ago, I found a pretty good deal on a Toshiba DVD read/write and VCR combo. I also picked up a spindle what appeared to be compatible Verbatim DVD+R disks. Well, one thing happened and then another and I only got around to trying to record to it a couple of days ago. I wanted (and still do) to save a couple of races that I have on my DVR. So I did what seemed like the right thing to do: opened the package of disks and slipped one into the reader/recorder. I got a message that told me the disk could not be read. Well, that's probably true, I thought....it's brand-new and doesn't have anything on it. How could it be read?

I went to the manual (that novel about a Spanish guy) and read about having to format a disk before recording and finalizing it afterward. Ok. I'll format it. No, since it can't be read, it can't be formatted. This confused me and still does. I've only been working with disk-based computer systems since the 1970s, so I might have missed something, but in every instance I've run into, one has to initialize (that's what it used to be called) or format a disk before one could use it, the only exception being 3.5" diskettes which at one point came pre-formatted (they didn't when they first came into use...you had to format them.)

So I tried several other disks and they all came up with the same error. I noticed a pattern here. Nothing was working. I looked at the wrapper of the spindle of 20 DVD-R disks and the "rw" symbol was there, just as it was in the manual. I chased my tail for a while, then searched on the web for some information and all I came up with was ads for disks and recorders. Eventually, I found Toshiba's website and sent an email describing my problem. One of the first questions the tech support person asked in response was, "Are these dual-layer disks?" Huh? I had no idea. But eventually I found out that yes, they are DL or double-layer disks. There is no mention of this in the manual at all, although on the cover there are 8 different symbols, apparently representing the type of read/write methods/media that the recorder could use. Two of those 8 were similar to the "rw" symbol on the spindle of disks I'd been trying to use. Finally, after getting out a magnifying glass (I know my eyesight isn't that great and the problems of excessive tearing which is still with me affect it...btw, it's switched eyes now. It's in the left eye...leaving my right suitable for peering into the viewfinder)...anyway I looked at 'em under a magnifying glass and found that the 2 symbols on the manual had very small print under the "rw" which said DVD-ReWritable and DVD-R. The nearly identical symbol on the spindle of disks said, "DVD+R DL" Oh. DL. Maybe that means double layer. Yep. That's what it means, alright.

I emailed the support tech back and told him that seemed to be the problem. He then wrote back and said that Toshiba doesn't make a DVD player/recorder that supports double layer format. Ok. I've run into things like this in the past, going WAY back to the 14" Caelus type disk cartridges that could come in single or double density with white plastic shells or quad density with black shells. (I think they only made about 16 of the quad density disks cuz nobody could keep them running for more than a few hours due to thermal expansion/contraction of the baseplates.) Same with 720kb/1.4mb diskettes. The only difference was a 2nd hole in the case opposite the write-protect tab.

But as I was looking for different media, I found myself overwhelmed with hundreds, in not thousands of different types of recording media. If you go to Amazon.com and search for DVD+R disks you'll find that there are 59 different options for Verbatim disks alone. To make things just a bit more confusing, the packaging of the double layer disks was virtually identical to supposedly "single layer" Lightscribe disks which (according to the ad blurb) are supposed to support a new technology that allows for "professional, silkscreen-quality labels on CDs and DVDs."

Here's the analogy I came up with:
A hungry person approaches a buffet with many different but similar appearing foods and finds out after the fact that one of them was incompatible with his body, resulting in food poisoning. I suppose that might stretch the boundaries of imagination slightly, but there are similarities in both situations where the "user" got something that didn't work. I guess it could be like eating poisonous puffer fish at a Japanese buffet and finding out that the incompatibility with the body had fatal consequences. Fortunately I didn't try to eat any of the disks. It's all I can do to eat crackers at the moment.

I think it's time for bass practice. At least I know the strings on the bass are compatible with my fingers and the blues. Ohh...a recommendation: Maria Muldaur's album called Richland Woman Blues. It's very, very good in my opinion. I'd never thought of her as a blues singer, but she's got it down right. Me and My Chauffeur Blues is ossum.

RtR

At 04:47 PM 11/28/2009, you wrote:
I have Elements 5.0 on the 'puter, not sure where the disk is?
hwp