[ratpack] More spin on the subject of rotation

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:54:18 -0700

Here are the other photos of Haga's Ducati that I rotated. They have quite a bit more angle to 'em than the previous, but still nothing like Larry's photographic motion sickness. :)

These aren't quite as sharp as the others, but they otta serve the purpose of comparison.

First is the question of direction, second is amount and third is "is this an intuitive thing or is it something that can be taught/learned?" The third part of the question came to me as I was thinking about the "photographer's eye" that some have and some don't. Part of it is technical and part of it's intuitive (I think) and it relates to the (probably apocryphal) story about Ansel Adams and the other photographers along side, non of whom got the breathtaking shot that Adams did. Same thing might apply here. I dunno.

Anyway, in looking at the two shots, I tried to figger out what I was "seeing." That's quoted for a coupla reasons, the first of which is that a lot of what I'm looking at is blurry from this eye problem I'm having and the second part is that seeing can be more than a visual activity. It also conveys meaning or possible interpretation.

Example. When I look at the photo that's been rotated CW, I get the feeling that the rider is slowing down as if braking for a corner. Looking at the CCW rotation, I get the feeling of constant speed, possibly acceleration.

The only other observation I could make about the subject is that in the CCW photo, the angle of the helmet visor seems to be vertical which gives me the feeling that the rider is looking straight ahead, likely toward the exit of a corner and onto a straight. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but....

If ya got any more insight on this, I'd love to hear it. (Startin to sound like a broken record, but....)

RtR